National Post (Latest Edition)
Meghan suffers setback in battle with tabloid
Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has lost the latest skirmish in her privacy lawsuit against a tabloid newspaper, after London’s High Court ruled Tuesday the tabloid could amend its case ahead of a trial next year. Meghan is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles the Mail on Sunday printed last year that included parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle. Last week, the paper applied for permission to amend its case, arguing that Meghan and Prince Harry had co-operated with a biography about them and that Meghan had intended some private details to become public, including the contents of the letter. The judge, Francesca Kaye made no view on the strength of the Mail’s case but said the amendments could not be said to be “unarguable or utterly fanciful.” The trial is set to start Jan. 11.