8 slices of bacon, cut into ■ 1/2-inch (1.25-cm) pieces and cooked, optional or serve whole slices on the side Kosher salt, freshly ground ■ pepper 8 6-inch (15-cm) flour tortillas, ■ warmed on a griddle 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, ■ divided 1 small white onion, diced ■ 1 medium tomato, diced ■ 8 large eggs ■ 1 cup white cheddar or ■ Monterey Jack with jalapenos, shredded 1 avocado, thinly sliced ■ for serving Hot sauce ■
1. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 10-12 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain (do not pour off fat from skillet).
2. Using a large non-stick skillet, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter and onions to skillet and cook, stirring often, until translucent and tender, 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove skillet from heat.
3. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl to blend; add the remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of butter in the non-stick skillet over medium heat and let melt.
4. Pour eggs in evenly over the tomatoes and onions. Cook eggs, stirring occasionally to mix in onions and tomatoes, and scraping bottom of skillet with a heatproof spatula or fork to form large curds, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Add cheese and stir to mix in and finish cooking. Do not increase the heat to cook everything faster or the eggs may burn.
6. Remove eggs from heat and mix in bacon if using or serve on the side. Fill tortillas with cheesy egg mixture and top with avocado. Serve with hot sauce.