New dates set for inquest into teen’s death
SASKATOON The Saskatchewan government has announced dates for a previously postponed inquest into the death of a 17-year-old resident of a secure-custody youth facility in Saskatoon.
Timothy Unger was living at Kilburn Hall Youth Centre when he was taken to hospital and pronounced dead in the early morning hours of July 30, 2015.
In a 2015 interview with The Saskatoon StarPhoenix, his mother said Unger, who was associated with a Saskatoon street gang, was taken into custody a few days before his death after he went on the run while he was supposed to be taking a court-ordered drug treatment program in the community. Prior to that, he was in custody at Kilburn Hall for a series of robberies.
According to his mother, he begged staff to take him to the hospital in the hours before his death.
“The night before, (he) called me. He was talking very, very fast and he told me, ‘Mom, I’ve been up for 12 days. I don’t feel good. I asked them to take me to hospital and they won’t.’ ”
She said her son was on prescription medication and she believes he took street drugs prior to his death. Early that day, he was taken to Royal University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A public inquest was scheduled to take place in June, but had to be rescheduled. The inquest is now scheduled for Nov. 27 to Dec. 1 at Saskatoon Court of Queen’s Bench.