Rendez-vous d’howard replaces three-day event with five unique activities
he team behind the annual Rendez-vous d’howard unveiled its plans for the next few months after the event, which normally takes place at the beginning of September, was cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic.
The group decided to create five events spanning from October to January, rather than having one weekend packed with activities. This year’s theme focuses on the time period between 1917 and 1926; a decade in which they built the manors at the Domaine Howard.
Sylvie Luce Bergeron, a member of Rendez-vous d’howard’s board of directors, introduced the plan on Wednesday evening to a small gathering of Sherbrooke officials, residents and media at the Granada Theatre on Wellington North.
Bergeron was joined on stage at different intervals by event director Francis Demers, long-time president of the board Chantal L’espérance and Sherbrooke Mayor Steve Lussier. They all reiterated the importance of celebrating the city’s nature, culture and arts.
Demers acknowledged the tremendous effort and time put in by his team to develop a new schedule of events. Born and raised in Sherbrooke, Demers, who took the director job last year, said the last few months forced the historic project to grow and evolve.
The 19th edition of the Rendez-vous d’howard veers away from its classic roots and adopts various activities that caters to adults and children. The first event, a masquerade-type evening, takes place on Oct.21 at the Granada Theatre with live music from Alain Dumas.
A month later on Nov. 29, people are invited to attend a children’s show performed by Ariane Deslions in the afternoon at the Léonard St-laurent Theatre. There is also a scotch tasting with an expert at the Domaine Howard Pavillon 1 on Dec. 5.
The following day on Dec. 6 the Rendez-vous d’howard will host a high tea also at Pavillon 1. The final activity involves a free skate, live music and a figure skating performance at the Domaine Howard Pond on Jan. 30.
While Demers, Bergeron and company revealed the programming for this year’s Rendez-vous d’howard, a lot of it is still up in the air with regards to the changing health and safety measures. Demers told The Record that his team is aware they might need to adapt quickly.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only a small amount of people will be allowed at the events, according to a press release. People can reserve their spots by booking online on the Rendez-vous d’howard Facebook page or on the official website at www. rendezvousdhoward.com.
Scenes from a previous year’s event