Badminton playoffs continue
April 29 was a busy day of badminton as both the juniors and seniors continued their playoffs. The seniors gathered at the Swift Current Comp. to compete in the SWAC District Championships. The teams were divided into two pools with the top two in each pool advancing to the playoffs. The semi finals were followed by the bronze and gold medal matches. The results were as follows:
Gold medalist Amanda Mitchell (Frontier) over silver medalist Cassandra Benson (Hazlet) 22-20, 21-16.
Bronze medalist Sara Kendall (Ponteix) over 4th place Madison Bertram (Frontier) 21-11, 21-10.
Gold medalist Sim Singh (SC Comp.) over silver medalist Riley Hughes (Hazlet) 21-16, 21-13.
Bronze medalist Dallyn Jamieson (Cabri) over fourth place Dylan Larson (Val Marie) 21-19, 23-21.
Gold medalists Payton Stimson/kyla Tumbach (Leader) over silver medalists Savannah Mass/kenna Anton (Fox Valley) 17-21, 21-11, 21-19.
Bronze medalists Dayna Winzer/claudia Lim (Maple Creek) over fourth place Lara New/justine Bennett (Swift Current Comp.) 21-18, 22-20.
Gold medalists Carson Leach/jordan Mastel (Leader) over silver medalists Patrick Ehnisz/aden Hudec (Fox Valley) 21-16, 21-12.
Bronze medalists Ethan Bosch/matthew Ganert (Fox Valley) over fourth place Dustin Kendall/tanner Kendall (Ponteix) 21-18, 22-20.
Gold medalists Nicholas Ehnisz/rebecca Chou (Fox Valley) over silver medalists Ben Dumontel/jyllian Kaliciak (Frontier) 20-22, 21-13, 21-7.
Bronze medalists Monica Torales/grady Rogers (SC Comp.) over fourth place Garret Heschel/kelly Bestrop (Herbert) 21-19, 21-14.
Thanks to our host school Swift Current Comp. as well as our commissioners Randy Johnson, Tanya Turner & Geraldine Ham (Frontier) and special thanks to the Swift Current Comp. badminton team and head coach Janna Walker for all their work in hosting the event!
Our gold and silver medalists will now advance to SHSAA regional badminton, which will be held May 6 at Swift Current. There will be six teams in each category – two from SWAC, two from Regina and two from South Central district. They will play a round robin with the top two advancing to Provincials. The matches will start at 10 a.m. at the Comp.
Our junior badminton players competed at four host sites for the sectional/subsectional playoffs. Thanks to our hosts Fox Valley (commissioner Troy Glass), Ecole Centennial (commissioners Terry Pavely and Brooke Backman), Ponteix (commissioner Ian Rewcastle) and Frontier (commissioner Susan Legault).
The following teams will be advancing to SWAC District finals at Maple Creek on Saturday, May 6. Matches will be played at Maple Creek high school as well as Sidney Street starting at 10 a.m.
CYPRESS HILLS SECTION
GIRLS SINGLES 1. Janae Mass – Burstall 2. Verity Titemore - Cabri 3. Kathleen Portz – Maple Creek 4. Olivia Hudec – Fox Valley
BOYS SINGLES 1. Kaden Gramlich – Fox Valley
2. Mason Mass – Fox Valley 3. Tyson Forbes – Maple Creek
4. Micky Bradford – Cabri
GIRLS DOUBLES 1. Megan Tumbach/kerstyn Wenzel – Leader
2. Letitia Tryhuba/krupal Patel – Burstall
3. Lori Ann Briggs/morgan Bock – Maple Creek
4. Danni Jamieson/tristyn Grodaes – Cabri
BOYS DOUBLES 1. Donovan Blackwell/joseph Heck – Hazlet
2. Cooper Schneider/trey Lehmann – Fox Valley
3. Dominic Ehnisz/om Patel – Burstall
4. Read Duncan/mayson Moffat – Cabri
MIXED DOUBLES 1. Trevor Brost/kaylyn Eremenko – Maple Creek
2. Jacob Tryhuba/joren Gramlich – Burstall
3. Janae Wilson/chase Sawchuk – Maple Creek
4. Jade Stimson/ty Strutt – Leader
ROLLING HILLS A
GIRLS SINGLES 1. Teagan Ruf – Herbert 2. Sierra Pleasance – Swift Current Comp.
BOYS SINGLES 1. Matthew Epp – Swift Current Comp.
2. Aussie Wiebe – Waldeck
1. Lexi Boss/aspen Thomson – Ecole Centennial
2. Taylor Dickie/raeanne Lawrence – Ecole Centennial
BOYS DOUBLES 1. Adam Guider/alex Wollbaum – Swift Current Comp.
2. Reuben Lantican/jayesh Budhrani – Swift Current Comp. MIXED DOUBLES 1. Mitch Vaughan/callie Bye – Gull Lake
2. Devin Winquist/lisa To – Gull Lake
ROLLING HILLS B
1. JJ Sollano - Ponteix
2. Olivia Gross - Irwin
BOYS SINGLES 1. Jasper Gian - Ponteix
2. Kai Haubrich - Irwin GIRLS DOUBLES
1. Tia Gorilla//kaylawalters – Ponteix
2. Judith Gieck/brooklyn Zakaluzny – Vanguard
BOYS DOUBLES 1. Austin Calkins/rylan Schommer – Irwin
2. Manny Grimm/rhett Petersen – Hodgeville
MIXED DOUBLES 1. Andrea Dela Rosa/rhett Franklin – Ponteix
2. Cody Emms/mika Rabulan – Pontei
GIRLS SINGLES 1. Gabrielle Schmidt – Val Marie
2. Erika Pelletier – Frontier 3. Tiara Armstrong – Eastend 4. Shanenia Pineda – Frontier
BOYS SINGLES 1. Garrett Mitchell – Frontier 2. Rylen Egland – Eastend 3. Chase Jarman – Frontier 4. Josh Penner – Val Marie
GIRLS DOUBLES 1. Bryden Tremere/hanna Piquette – Shaunavon
2. Kristine Escueta/kim Loyola – Frontier
3. Olivia Johnston/kinae Wallis – Shaunavon
4. Krislyn Escueta/larissa Calderia – Frontier
BOYS DOUBLES 1. Frank Knelsen/austin Norheim – Frontier
2. Lachlan Humphrey/jaxon Barton – Eastend
2. Matthew Fuller/colton Ford – Shaunavon
4. Tygh Armstrong/jesse Arendt – Eastend
MIXED DOUBLES 1. Harlee Dube/erick Monreal – Frontier
2. Braden Brost/paige Tully – Consul
3. Paula Cortes/blake Dumontel – Frontier
4. Jayne Hanson/alex Waldner – Val Marie.
Shaunavon’s Nixon Voll was in action for the Shadows in boys singles at the SWAC District Championships in Swift Current Saturday.