D5 PORLIER PASS
North Reef – Marked by a light 800 m (.5 mi) to the south end of Tent Island.
Tent Island – A marker identifies the eastern limit of the drying rocks. This heavily treed island is a First Nations reserve. Do not go between Tent and Kuper islands.
Lamalchi Bay – Private, shallow waters and exposed. North are interesting cliffs riddled with small holes used by birds for nesting.
Telegraph Harbour – Local knowledge is an asset when entering this harbour. Entering from the east (Clam Bay); do it at HW. Post a lookout on the bow. On the east shore of the harbour there is a ferry terminal to Kuper Is. and a public wharf.
Clam Bay – Some sheltered anchorage on the south side but watch for reefs and shoals. There is a dredged boat passage to bring you to Telegraph Harbour. South end has Penelakut Spit to protect Clam Bay from southeasterly winds and waves.
Kuper Island – Home to the Penelakut band of the Cowichan Indians. It was named after Captain Augustus Leopold Kuper who sailed his ship HMS Thetis here, from 1851 to 1853.
Norway Island – Private island with a light at the northwest end; a buoy at the southeast tip marks drying rocks.
Houston Passage – Named after Captain Wallace Houston who commanded the HMS Trincomalee in these waters from 1853-56.
Grappler Rocks – Marked by a red light. Stonecutters Bay 800 m (.5 mi) south provides some anchorage. Idol Island, 1.6 km (1 mi) south, was an Indian burial ground.
Southey Point – A cove to the west of the point is suitable for anchorage. Fernwood – A pier which reaches over the tidal flats and offers a float with room for three or four boats.
Panther Point – Named after the sailing ship “Panther” that was towed through the area when a gale struck in 1874.
Wallace Island – Named after Wallace Houston, captain of the HMS Trincomalee. A provincial marine park (except for 4.5 hectares) 20 campsites, picnic areas, outhouses and fresh water. Princess Cove provides protected anchorage.
Secretary Islands – Joined by a sand bank. Jackscrew Island is private and has good anchorage on the west.
Mowgli Island – do not pass between Mowgli & Secretary Islands.
Hall Island – Private island. Some anchorage on the southeast side.
Reid Island – There is anchorage around this heavily treed island. Just northwest is Rose Islets; it is a small ecological reserve which is closed to the public.
Trincomalee Channel – Named for the HMS Trincomalee which was a sailing frigate that patrolled these waters, 1853 to 1856.
Galiano Island – 26 km long with a population of about 1,000. Two provincial campgrounds, stores, liquor outlet, pub, post office and restaurants.
20. Retreat Cove –public wharf and boat launch. Retreat Island is private.
Spotlight Cove – It was here that Captain J.C. Voss turned a 38 foot dugout canoe into a sailboat and ventured forth on a three year quest to sail around the globe.
North Galiano – Alcala Point just north was named after Commander Dionisio Alcala Galiano, a Spanish captain who reconnoitered the region in 1792.
Porlier Pass – Current can build to 8 or 9 knots on a flood or ebb-tide and larger vessels will increase the dangers. Virago Rock is marked with a light; in 1949 it grounded the Point Gray. Lighthouse Bay offers shelter from currents in Porlier Pass.
24. Dionisio Point – Named after Captain Dionisio Alcala Galiano. The 10 ha (25 ac) park, offers 25 campsites, water and out-houses. Coon Bay offers anchorage.
This shoreline is largely undeveloped and exposed to east and south winds.
Canoe Islet – It was declared an ecological reserve in 1971 and it was closed to the public. It claimed the 57 metre steamer Del Norte in 1868. The wreck is protected under the Heritage Conservation Act of B.C. (UASBC).
Vernaci Point – Named after the Spaniard Lieutenant Juan Vernaci who helped survey the channels between Vancouver Island and the mainland in 1792.
28. Lots of fishing along the eastern shores of Valdes. Cardale Point is to the south end of the island. Cayetano Point has a marker.