Smoked out

Guests forced to evac­u­ate Rodd Roy­alty af­ter smoke fills build­ing from elec­tri­cal box mal­func­tion

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - FRONT PAGE -

The Rodd Roy­alty ho­tel was evac­u­ated Mon­day as smoke filled the main build­ing.

Char­lot­te­town Fire Ser­vices sta­tion two re­sponded just af­ter 8:30 p.m.

“When we ar­rived there was a small elec­tri­cal fire in one of the elec­tri­cal pan­els in the util­ity room,” said Tim Mayme, deputy fire chief of the depart­ment.

“It looks like there might have been a small wa­ter leak into (the panel),” said Mayme.

Ho­tel staff had doused the panel, lo­cated in the base­ment of the two-storey struc­ture, with a fire ex­tin­guisher, but smoke re­mained through­out the build­ing. The main power was cut and fans were brought in to try to rid smoke from all three lev­els of the build­ing, said Mayme.

Guests left the ho­tel when the fire alarms be­gan sound­ing. Some were later es­corted by fire­fight­ers with flash­lights back into the build­ing to get their be­long­ings.

Some guests were re­lo­cated to the ad­ja­cent mo­tel units on the prop­erty; other guests were taken to the Rodd Char­lot­te­town in the city’s down­town where about 12 rooms were made avail­able.

“Elec­tri­cians are in to look at the dam­age that was done to the panel to see if it is safe to turn on any power source at all,” said Mayme at the scene at 10:30 p.m. “Our fire in­spec­tor is down there with them now and once they ver­ify how much dam­age was done to the panel and how much they can re-en­er­gize, we will be­gin a full in­spec­tion.”

NIGEL ARM­STRONG/THE GUARDIAN

Fire­fight­ers are shown out­side the Rodd Roy­alty on Mon­day evening af­ter re­spond­ing to a call to the build­ing, which is lo­cated on Cap­i­tal Drive in Char­lot­te­town. Twenty-five rooms were evac­u­ated.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.