Blaze in­jures man

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - PROVINCE - BY ANCELENE MACKIN­NON

A fire near Miscouche early Sun­day morn­ing sent one per­son to hos­pi­tal and caused ex­ten­sive dam­age to the home.

Chief Ja­son Wood­bury, with the Miscouche Fire Depart­ment, said two peo­ple were home at the time of the fire, which oc­curred around eight a.m. They called in the fire af­ter leav­ing the house, lo­cated on Camp­bell Road.

“They were awak­ened by the smoke,” said Wood­bury.

“One oc­cu­pant was taken to Prince County Hos­pi­tal with mi­nor in­juries of smoke in­hala­tion. He has now been re­leased.”

Miscouche, as well as the Welling­ton Fire Depart­ment, which was called for mu­tual aid, quickly got the fire un­der con­trol, said Wood­bury.

“It took ap­prox­i­mately 30 min­utes to con­tain the fire. It was in the base­ment of the du­plex.”

The Miscouche depart­ment re­sponded with a full fleet of ve­hi­cles and Welling­ton had two trucks to sup­ply wa­ter, the fire chief added.

He es­ti­mated that $85,000 worth of dam­age had been done to the home, with “ex­ten­sive smoke and heat dam­age to the up­per level.”

Wood­bury said the owner has in­sur­ance, and the oc­cu­pants have been dis­placed from their home. Disas­ter vol­un­teers with the Cana­dian Red Cross as­sisted the man and woman with emer­gency lodg­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.