Criminal charges recommended against officer who killed homeless man
LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles police chief has recommended criminal charges Monday against an officer who shot and killed an unarmed homeless man. The decision came after investigators concluded that Brendon Glenn was on his stomach trying to push himself up on May 5 when Officer Clifford Proctor shot the 29-year-old New York native in the back, Lt. John Jenal, a police spokesman, said Monday. Investigators also found that Glenn wasn’t trying to take a gun from Proctor or his partner when he was shot. Proctor’s partner told investigators he didn’t know why the officer opened fire, Jenal said. The officers were not wearing body cameras, but the shooting was captured on surveillance video. Police have declined to release the footage. Jenal said Police Chief Charlie Beck made the recommendation on charges last month to Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey. She will decide whether to charge Proctor and does not have to follow Beck’s recommendation.