Fired ruled ac­ci­den­tal

Fire mar­shal’s of­fice says likely cause ig­nited waste ma­te­ri­als in bath­room

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - PROVINCE - BY DAVE STE­WART

A New Year’s Day fire at a home on the Quinn Road in Elmwood has been ruled ac­ci­den­tal.

The P.E.I. fire mar­shal’s of­fice said the fire, which oc­curred in a sin­gle-fam­ily dwelling, was prob­a­bly caused when waste ma­te­ri­als in or around the bath­room van­ity ig­nited.

The North River Fire Depart­ment re­sponded to the call around 11:30 p.m. on Jan. 1.

Fire Chief Kirby Wake­lin said they re­sponded with close to 30 fire­fight­ers.

His main con­cern right away was that the home was close to a 15-minute drive for the depart­ment.

“It came in as a bath­room fire and it was in the struc­ture. It is quite a ways away from the (fire) hall, and that’s quite a time for a fire to be free burn­ing. Be­ing that it was in­side the struc­ture I or­dered all the trucks on the road,’’ Wake­lin said.

“It could turn into any­thing so I or­dered all trucks to it. We can al­ways turn them back if we don’t need them.’’

No one was hurt in the fire, and Wake­lin added that the fam­ily al­most had it out them­selves by us­ing the shower head.

“I think the home­owner had it pretty well out, but we did run a line into the house and put out the rest.’’

The fire chief said the house suf­fered “a lit­tle bit of smoke dam­age’’ and the bath­room is ob­vi­ously go­ing to re­quire some work.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.