Need to know
The road from Province House to Euston Street was named Great George Street as laid out in the Wright-Patterson Plan of 1771.
It was changed to University Avenue on Jan. 1, 1971 in honour of the newly created UPEI.
Charlottetown city council changed the name back to Great George Street in May 2015.
Downtown Charlottetown Inc. and the City of Charlottetown have partnered on a project that will see historical photos, ads and interpretations displays in the windows of participating merchants from Feb. 16-29.
The exhibit will feature more than 100 images, maps, plans and advertisements from the 1771 Wright-Patterson Plan to images from the 1980s, that show taxis lined up in front of Art’s and Ed’s cab stands.