Fiery dryer lint causes dam­age

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - FRONT PAGE -

Lint from a clothes dryer caught fire and set a home ablaze in Tryon Fri­day, the P.E.I. Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice has found.

In a state­ment is­sued Tues­day, the of­fice out­lined its in­ves­ti­ga­tion re­gard­ing the in­ci­dent at the home on Branch Road.

Steve Martin and his wife, Robyn, lived at the res­i­dence, which is owned by Steve’s father, Vic­tor Martin. Steve was home at the time of the fire, but his wife was out. They at­tribute a work­ing smoke alarm to wak­ing Steve from a nap and al­low­ing him to es­cape with their dog.

“This fire has been ruled as ac­ci­den­tal in na­ture with the ori­gin in or around a clothes dryer in the porch/laun­dry area, on the main level of the home,” says the re­port from the Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice. “The cause is at­trib­uted to the ig­ni­tion of lint in the dryer and/or duct work.”

The Cra­paud fire depart­ment was the main re­spon­der to the fire, with help from Kinkora and Borden fire de­part­ments.

“The struc­ture sus­tained heavy fire dam­age to the main level of the dwelling and smoke and wa­ter dam­age through­out the re­main­der of the home,” said the fire mar­shal.

The home was in­sured, the Mar­tins told The Guardian.

The fire mar­shal’s re­port also pre­sented find­ings from two other in­ves­ti­ga­tions re­cently.

There was a se­cond ma­jor fire Fri­day, this one in a ma­chine shop at a res­i­den­tial prop­erty in Hunter River.

“The build­ing was com­pletely de­stroyed by the fire,” said the re­port.

“The cause of this fire has been ruled as un­de­ter­mined due to the level of de­struc­tion.”

The third re­port looks at a fire Satur­day evening at a home in New Glas­gow.

“The fire has been ruled ac­ci­den­tal in na­ture with the ori­gin in the wall of the porch, be­hind a propane heater that was mounted on the sur­face of the wall,” said the Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice.

The unit over­heated, set­ting fire to ma­te­ri­als in the wall, it said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.