Contractor appeals delay Trump border wall prototypes
The Trump administration said Thursday that prototypes for a proposed border wall with Mexico have been delayed until November because two companies have objected to the bidding process, dealing another setback to the president’s aggressive timetable to make good on a signature campaign pledge.
The administration initially planned to begin construction in San Diego by June. Last month, officials said they did not expect to break ground until toward the end of summer.
On Thursday, the administration sent an email to members of Congress saying appeals by two companies identified as WNIS and Penna Group delayed construction to early November, with completion scheduled for early December.
The contents of the email were provided to The Associated Press by a U.S. official who had reviewed it. The official provided the information only on condition of anonymity because it has not been made public.
WNIS and Penna Group submitted bids to build wall prototypes but failed to make it to a second round of bidders selected in May, according to the email sent to members of Congress.
Losing bidders routinely protest decisions, and additional delays are possible. The Government Accountability Office has dismissed WNIS’ protest but is still evaluating the protest lodged by Parra Group. Others may object once the winners are announced.