Young Oh­sweken fa­ther shot dead

The Hamilton Spectator - - LO­CAL - JOANNA FR­KETICH

Six Na­tions Po­lice are in­ves­ti­gat­ing the death of a 27-year-old Oh­sweken fa­ther and artist who was shot in the head.

Dustin Wayne Mon­ture who lived on 2nd Line was de­clared brain dead at 2:15 p.m. Wed­nes­day at Hamil­ton Gen­eral Hospi­tal. He died later that day at 11:05 p.m.

“It’s a mother’s worst night­mare,” said his mom, Rox­anne Farmer. “I stayed with him to the end.”

Mon­ture was orig­i­nally thought to have been as­saulted when friends found him on the lawn of their Tus­carora Road home and brought him to West Haldimand Gen­eral Hospi­tal in Hagersville with head in­juries, at 4 p.m. Tues­day. It wasn’t un­til he was taken by air am­bu­lance to Hamil­ton Gen­eral Hospi­tal and re­ceived a CT scan about 7 p.m. that it was dis­cov­ered he’d been shot.

“I’d like peo­ple to re­mem­ber how he made every­one laugh,” said his mom. “He was a jokester.”

Mon­ture was try­ing to turn a life of crime and drugs around for his three chil­dren aged eight, two, and one.

“His kids were his world,” said Farmer. “All he wanted was his kids.”

An ath­lete who played hockey, lacrosse and base­ball, Mon­ture be­came hooked on Oxy-Con­tin when he was pre­scribed the opi­oid pain med­i­ca­tion af­ter los­ing his front teeth in a hockey game.

“I be­lieve he could have made it in hockey or lacrosse,” said his mom. But the drugs “had con­trol of him.”

It led to a string of con­vic­tions cul­mi­nat­ing in a four-and-a-half year prison sen­tence in 2011 for sell­ing guns af­ter break­ing into a home in Delhi with a group of men.

“He fin­ished high school,” dur­ing his sen­tence said his mom. “He took what­ever (pro­grams) they of­fered him.”

He ran into trou­ble with the law in­volv­ing guns again in 2015 dur­ing a do­mes­tic dis­pute.

But his mom says at heart he was an artist. He would draw abo­rig­i­nal scenes, make head­dresses and de­sign tat­toos.

“I don’t’ know where he came up with his ideas,” said Farmer. “He did my first tat­too.”

It was a bunch of feath­ers — one for each of her three girls and one for Mon­ture. One feather was bro­ken off from the bunch to rep­re­sent Farmer’s son who died at the age of 16.

Mon­ture en­joyed the out­doors par­tic­u­larly fish­ing and hunt­ing. He tapped trees for maple syrup at his child­hood home. He also did con­struc­tion work on and off.

“He was car­ing,” said Farmer. “He’d give you the shirt off his back. He’d help you any­way he pos­si­bly could.”

Po­lice have not yet been able to de­ter­mine where the shoot­ing oc­curred. The fam­ily says it feels like they’re be­ing left in the dark.

“We’re hear­ing so many sto­ries,” said Farmer. “It’s like the com­mu­nity is try­ing to solve this puz­zle our­selves.”

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion can call po­lice at 519-445-2811 or Crime Stop­pers at 1-800-222TIPS (8477) or www.crimestop­


Dustin Mon­ture, 27, was fa­tally shot Tues­day. He died Wed­nes­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.