Po­lice say vic­tim stabbed ‘not too far’ from gas sta­tion

City’s 3rd homi­cide vic­tim for 2017 came from Mis­sis­sauga

The Hamilton Spectator - - LOCAL - SU­SAN CLAIRMONT

Hay­der Qasim-Rushdi was not alone when he drove to Hamil­ton.

But he was solo when he pulled into a Stoney Creek Moun­tain gas sta­tion early Fri­day morn­ing bleed­ing to death from a stab wound to his neck.

Po­lice say the killer is an ac­quain­tance of the 33-year-old Mis­sis­sauga man. And the fa­tal in­jury was in­flicted “not too far” from the Pioneer gas sta­tion the vic­tim drove to be­fore col­laps­ing.

Hamil­ton po­lice have not yet made any ar­rests, yet seem con­fi­dent there is no threat to pub­lic safety.

De­tails of Hamil­ton’s third mur­der of the year are emerg­ing slowly from the homi­cide unit, which took over the case Satur­day night when it be­came ap­par­ent Hay­der would not sur­vive.

He died at about 3:30 p.m. Sun­day with fam­ily at his hospi­tal bed.

Lit­tle is known about Hay­der. Det. Sgt. Dave Ole­niuk, who met with his fam­ily Tues­day morn­ing, says Hay­der is sin­gle and has no chil­dren that his rel­a­tives are aware of.

Ole­niuk would not say much more than that.

He would not say why Hay­der came to Hamil­ton, driv­ing a car that is reg­is­tered to a fam­ily mem­ber.

He would also not elab­o­rate on who was with him, ex­cept to say “this is not a ran­dom stranger sit­u­a­tion.” Nor would he say where ex­actly the stab­bing took place.

“It wasn’t in a pub­lic place,” he did say. “It was in a ru­ral area, not too far from the gas sta­tion.”

The Pioneer sta­tion is on Up­per Cen­ten­nial Park­way, be­tween Mud Street and Green Moun­tain Road. It is iso­lated, sur­rounded by un­lit fields.

Hay­der pulled up there at 2:30 a.m. Fri­day, got out, went in­side, and then col­lapsed in front of a male em­ployee and a cus­tomer. They tried to help him and called 911.

“He stum­bles in and he’s cov­ered in blood,” Ole­niuk has said.

An au­topsy Mon­day de­ter­mined his cause of death was a stab wound to the neck.

Iden­ti­fy­ing Hay­der was dif­fi­cult and po­lice were un­able to in­ter­view him. It also took time to no­tify next of kin of his death, Ole­niuk said, be­cause they were scat­tered across the country and around the world.

Last week, po­lice were just 3 km away from the gas sta­tion, on Green Moun­tain Road, in­ves­ti­gat­ing two sep­a­rate in­ci­dents of shots be­ing fired at a house there.

The first time it hap­pened was April 17 at 4:30 a.m. and then again on April 22 at 11 p.m.

Det. Trevor Bland, who is in charge of that case, says the shoot­ings did not ap­pear to be “ran­dom” and the in­ves­ti­ga­tion is on­go­ing.

He also says he has not spo­ken with the homi­cide unit about any pos­si­ble con­nec­tions be­tween the mur­der and the shoot­ings.

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing the shoot­ings can call Det. Bland at 905-546-2917.

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing the homi­cide is asked to called Det. Ross John­son at 905526-3827 or Crime Stop­pers at 1800-222-8477.

Su­san Clairmont’s com­men­tary ap­pears reg­u­larly in The Spec­ta­tor. sclair­mont@thes­pec.com 905-526-3539 | @su­san­clair­mont


The Pioneer gas sta­tion on Up­per Cen­ten­nial Park­way, near Mud Street.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.