‘Fairly big decisions’ are forthcoming for Torstar, new chief executive says
TORONTO — The new chief executive officer of Torstar says “everything is on the table” in his plans to transform the media giant to overcome ongoing declines in print advertising revenue.
John Boynton, who took over as the company’s CEO and publisher of the Toronto Star at the end of March, said major changes are in store to better determine which consumers it wants to serve and what assets best address their needs.
“We won’t be rounding at the edges,” Boynton said Wednesday, in an interview after the company’s annual general meeting.
“We’ll be making some fairly big decisions.”
Torstar also publishes the Waterloo Region Record, The Hamilton Spectator and community newspapers across Ontario through its Metroland Media Group.
Boynton’s comments came as Torstar reported a $24.4-million loss for its first quarter, an improvement from last year when the comparable losses were more than twice as big.
Torstar said it is aiming for $5.3 million in annualized savings from the 110 previously announced job cuts during the quarter.
“Cost reductions will remain an important area of focus,” chief financial officer Lorenzo DeMarchi said in a conference call with analysts earlier in the day.
DeMarchi said restructuring measures already undertaken through the first quarter ended March 31 are expected to result in net savings of $13 million for the balance of the year.