Har­vey’s and Foot­ball

The Hamilton Spectator - - HEALTH - BY SAB­RINA DOLMAN, GRADE 8

My par­ents de­cided to treat my brother and I to a Har­vey’s din­ner. It seemed like any or­di­nary din­ner. I thought noth­ing of it un­til my Dad pulled his phone out. My par­ents were go­ing on about some­thing; I wasn’t pay­ing very much at­ten­tion to them. Then out of the blue, my Dad turned off his phone and told me, “You and I are go­ing to the foot­ball game on Satur­day!” I was ob­vi­ously in com­plete shock as I had never been to a foot­ball game in my life, and ac­cord­ing to my par­ents, I had a price­less face.

It was fi­nally game day and I was PUMPED! Ever since I was 8 years old I watched the foot­ball games with my Dad on the tele­vi­sion. It was so sur­real to be able to watch it live and in ac­tion. I had put 3 lay­ers of cloth­ing on as my Mom told me it would be cold, which it was. My Dad and I left at around 12pm so we could be there a bit ear­lier. When we ar­rived at the park­ing lot for sea­son ticket hold­ers, my Dad showed the man some sort of ticket to get us in the park­ing lot.

My Dad parked the car and we walked to the foot­ball field. When we got to our gate, my Dad showed them the tick­ets. We were body scanned and we went to­wards the stair­case. As we were walk­ing to­wards the stairs, my Dad no­ticed a small stand-up shop. We waited in line and my Dad bought me a Tiger-Cats blan­ket. Af­ter that, we went up the flight of stairs, past the bar and to­wards the food/drink area. We waited again in line to order. Even­tu­ally, we went up to order. I or­dered na­chos and cheese with iced tea as my Dad or­dered pop­corn with a wa­ter. We made our way to our seats. Sooner than later, the play­ers ran out. I’m sur­prised I didn’t lose my voice, con­sid­er­ing the fact that I was cheer­ing like a mad man. I mean, I was pretty loud through­out the game. It was my first game af­ter all! I took a lot of no­tice to­wards the field, try­ing to drown out the crowd.

I’d say for my first game, it was pretty good; it was a real nail-biter. The game ended at around 3:30pm on that lovely Satur­day Novem­ber 5th. The team sadly lost 32-25. Hon­estly, it still was an amaz­ing game. From the laugh­ing at the small crowd of fans for the Mon­treal Alou­ettes to the crazy funny comedic-like fans, it was prob­a­bly one of my favourite mem­o­ries.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.