Fam­ily re­cov­er­ing af­ter suf­fer­ing car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing in car

The Province - - NEWS - SCOTT BROWN [email protected]­media.com

A mother and her young chil­dren spent New Year’s Day in hospi­tal af­ter be­ing poi­soned by car­bon monox­ide while driv­ing in Ab­bots­ford on Box­ing Day.

The woman and her two chil­dren, aged three and five, were found un­re­spon­sive in­side a their car, which had come to rest against a guardrail, ap­par­ently when the driver tried to pull over.

Po­lice said it ini­tially ap­peared to be a sin­gle-vehicle ac­ci­dent. Two cit­i­zens pass­ing by called emer­gency ser­vices to the 33700-block of Clay­burn Road at 8:23 p.m. on Dec. 26 and the trio were taken to hospi­tal.

The mother and her two chil­dren aged three and five, were lo­cated un­re­spon­sive in a Toy­ota Corolla on Dec. 26 in Ab­bots­ford.

Ab­bots­ford po­lice said the mother and the five-year-old child were re­leased from hospi­tal on Thurs­day. The three­year-old re­mains in hospi­tal in sta­ble con­di­tion, but is ex­pected to be re­leased early next week.

Car­bon monox­ide is an odour­less, colour­less gas found in fumes pro­duced by burn­ing fuel. CO poi­son­ing symp­toms are of­ten de­scribed as “flu-like”, and in­clude headache, dizzi­ness, weak­ness, up­set stom­ach, vom­it­ing, chest pain, and con­fu­sion. Pro­longed ex­po­sure can lead to death.

CO poi­son­ing in ve­hi­cles is most fre­quently caused by a vehicle be­ing left run­ning in an en­closed area. In these cir­cum­stances, CO can build rapidly to toxic lev­els, said Ab­bots­ford as­sis­tant fire chief Craig Bird.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.