Po­lice con­firm hostage call was a hoax


Toronto po­lice re­leased se­cu­rity im­ages Mon­day of a sus­pect they said falsely re­ported an armed hostage­tak­ing on King St. last week, caus­ing traf­fic chaos and con­fu­sion for three hours.

The call came in to po­lice at 1 p.m. on Oct. 26, prompt­ing of­fi­cers — in­clud­ing the Emer­gency Task Force — to sur­round the 365 Dis­pen­sary and the Un­der­ground Garage at the south­west corner of King St. W. and Blue Jays Way.

Traf­fic and TTC routes along King St. were halted as emer­gency re­spon­ders stood by.

When in­ves­ti­ga­tors made their way into the build­ing, they found it empty. At the time, they were un­sure if the call was fake or if a hostage-taker had man­aged to es­cape.

In a press re­lease is­sued Mon­day morn­ing, po­lice con­firmed the call was a hoax, say­ing it came from a pay phone near Spad­ina Ave. and Cecil St.

The sus­pect is de­scribed as a man with a dark com­plex­ion and medium build, be­tween five feet, 10 inches tall and six feet two inches. He’s likely be­tween 25 and 35 years of age, said po­lice.

Po­lice also said the sus­pect wore glasses, a green cam­ou­flage jacket, black pants, black shoes, a black back­pack and a black base­ball cap. He rode a black, vin­tage-style bi­cy­cle with a black mud­guard and wooden rack on the rear.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors are ask­ing any­one with in­for­ma­tion to con­tact po­lice at 416-808-5200, or anony­mously through Crime Stop­pers.

Toronto po­lice are look­ing for a man they say falsely re­ported a hostage-tak­ing on King St. W. last Thurs­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.