Look­ing back on Yar­mouth County his­tory

Tri-County Vanguard - - OP-ED - Eric Bourque

From 1968

There was a good deal of de­vel­op­ment planned – or at least be­ing talked about – in Yar­mouth. Among other things, there was a pro­posal to build a shop­ping cen­tre, a new school and a new fish can­ning plant. De­vel­op­ers were eye­ing a site on the west side of Pleas­ant Street, near Starrs Road, for a shop­ping mall. There was no word what stores would oc­cupy the pro­posed fa­cil­ity, although a ma­jor food chain and a depart­ment store were said to be in­ter­ested. Ed­u­ca­tion of­fi­cials were look­ing to build a new eight-room fa­cil­ity on the Cen­tral School prop­erty on Pa­rade Street. The pro­posed can­ning plant re­port­edly would em­ploy 50 peo­ple ini­tially, with more to be hired later. Mean­while, aside from these projects, ap­proval had been given for a 15-unit pub­lic hous­ing de­vel­op­ment in the Hiber­nia Street area. A con­struc­tion project al­ready un­der­way was the build­ing of a new golf club/curl­ing rink in the town’s south end.

It was of­fi­cial: Yar­mouth would have a se­cond ferry con­nec­tion with New Eng­land, the an­nounce­ment com­ing from Nova Sco­tia Premier G.I. Smith dur­ing a meet­ing of the Yar­mouth Board of Trade. The new ser­vice was ex­pected to be in place by June 1970. The new ves­sel’s Amer­i­can port of call had yet to be an­nounced. Portsmouth, New Hamp­shire, and Glouces­ter, Mass­a­chu­setts, re­port­edly were be­ing con­sid­ered. (Port­land even­tu­ally would get the ser­vice, how­ever.) Yar­mouth al­ready had the Bluenose that sailed to Bar Har­bor, so once the new ser­vice was in op­er­a­tion, Yar­mouth would have two ferry links with the U.S.

On the lo­cal en­ter­tain­ment scene in Oc­to­ber 1968, pop­u­lar Nova Sco­tia singer Anne Mur­ray had up­com­ing ap­pear­ances sched­uled for Yar­mouth’s Grand Ho­tel. Mur­ray, 23 years old at the time, had been in Toronto tap­ing a TV ap­pear­ance on a Wayne and Shus­ter spe­cial that was to air in a few weeks. Mur­ray was a reg­u­lar on the CBC pro­gram Sin­ga­long Ju­bilee.

The 1968 stock-car rac­ing sea­son came to an end with Cliff Gavel win­ning the 50-lap fea­ture event on the last race day of the year at the Yar­mouth Speed­way. Five-hun­dred “hardy fans” braved cold Oc­to­ber winds to watch the ac­tion, the Van­guard re­ported.

From 1978

South­west­ern Nova Sco­tia was ex­pe­ri­enc­ing what a de­vel­op­ment depart­ment of­fi­cial with the prov­ince de­scribed as above-aver­age real growth, thanks mainly to the fish­ing in­dus­try. The strength of the fish­ery was re­flected in sec­tors like boat­build­ing, where op­er­a­tors were re­port­ing back­logs of or­ders for at the least the next two years. Ev­i­dence of the re­gion’s boom­ing econ­omy also could be seen on the roads, given the num­ber of new cars be­ing driven, the of­fi­cial said.

The num­ber of seag­ulls fly­ing near the air­port and pos­ing po­ten­tial danger to air­craft re­port­edly had been re­duced since the clo­sure of the Town of Yar­mouth’s nearby dump. David Bussey, man­ager of the Yar­mouth air­port at the time, hadn’t been in the area long but said his un­der­stand­ing was that the seag­ull prob­lem had been “re­ally cut down.”

Most Rev. Austin Burke, bishop of the Dio­cese of Yar­mouth, was among those sad­dened by the death of John Paul I, who had died just a month or so af­ter be­ing elected pope. Bishop Burke had been at­tend­ing a con­fer­ence of bish­ops in Ot­tawa when word came of the new pon­tiff’s death. Bishop Burke was to have met the new pope dur­ing an up­com­ing trip to the Vat­i­can.

From 1988

The fed­eral gov­ern­ment an­nounced plans to pro­vide south­west­ern Nova Sco­tia with a year-round emer­gency he­li­copter ser­vice to be based in Yar­mouth. It would pro­vide search-and-res­cue cov­er­age and en­hance the gov­ern­ment’s fish­ery sur­veil­lance op­er­a­tions. The ser­vice was to be pro­vided by a pri­vate firm through a con­trac­tual ar­range­ment. The ser­vice wasn’t ex­pected to be in place un­til the spring of 1989.

Or­ga­niz­ers of the Yar­mouth In­ter­na­tional Air Show were said to be think­ing of hav­ing their event ev­ery two years in­stead of ev­ery year. The most re­cent air show – held in Au­gust 1988 – had not drawn as many spec­ta­tors as or­ga­niz­ers had ex­pected. For now, the plan was to have an air show again in 1989.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.