Six months in jail

Windsor man re-ap­pre­hended af­ter flee­ing po­lice will serve jail time

Valley Journal Advertiser - - NEWS -

A Windsor man who was re-ap­pre­hended af­ter he es­caped from cus­tody fol­low­ing an in­ci­dent where he as­saulted po­lice of­fi­cers has been sen­tenced on sev­eral charges.

Kerry Lee Samp­son, 31, pleaded guilty to four charges dur­ing a Nov. 2 court ap­pear­ance. These in­clude fail­ing to com­ply with his re­cog­ni­zance by fail­ing to re­main in his res­i­dence at all times; two counts of as­sault­ing a po­lice of­fi­cer en­gaged in the ex­e­cu­tion of his duty; and es­cap­ing law­ful cus­tody af­ter hav­ing been ar­rested by the Windsor RCMP.

Judge Ronda Van Der Hoek sen- tenced Samp­son to six months in cus­tody on each count, to be served con­cur­rently, and fined him $800 in vic­tim sur­charges. The court granted a DNA or­der in re­la­tion to the two counts of as­sault­ing a po­lice of­fi­cer. The court de­clined an ap­pli­ca­tion for a firearm pro­hi­bi­tion.

Charges of re­sist­ing a peace of­fi­cer en­gaged in the ex­e­cu­tion of his duty by at­tempt­ing to run away and hit­ting two of­fi­cers; and fail­ing to com­ply with his re­cog­ni­zance by as­sault­ing peace of­fi­cers and run­ning away were with­drawn on Nov. 2.

Ac­cord­ing to a news re­lease is­sued by the RCMP, mem­bers of the Windsor RCMP de­tach­ment ar­rested Samp­son with­out in­ci­dent at a home in Three Mile Plains at ap­prox­i­mately 6 p.m. on Oct. 28. He had re­sisted ar­rest and fled from po­lice a day ear­lier.

Shortly af­ter 12 p.m. on Oct. 27, the Windsor RCMP ar­rested Samp­son at a res­i­dence on Stan­nus Street in Windsor for al­legedly vi­o­lat­ing a court or­der. Samp­son re­sisted ar­rest and as­saulted po­lice of­fi­cers dur­ing the in­ci­dent.

A news re­lease stated that RCMP of­fi­cers dis­charged an en­ergy weapon on Samp­son dur- ing the al­ter­ca­tion. He was taken into po­lice cus­tody and then to the hos­pi­tal for treat­ment.

At ap­prox­i­mately 5 p. m., Samp­son was re­leased from the hos­pi­tal and back into po­lice cus­tody. On the way back to the Windsor de­tach­ment, the of­fi­cers stopped at the Stan­nus Street res­i­dence for Samp­son to pick up some per­sonal be­long­ings. Dur­ing this stop at the res­i­dence, Samp­son fled from po­lice on foot.

The of­fi­cers chased af­ter Samp­son but they were un­able to lo­cate and ap­pre­hend him. A war­rant for Samp­son’s ar­rest was is­sued. The de­scrip­tion of Samp­son given at the time said he was wear­ing grey sweat pants, a hos­pi­tal gown and no shoes at the time of his es­cape.

Samp­son was hand­cuffed when he fled from po­lice. It was later re­ported that he had been spot­ted wear­ing dif­fer­ent cloth­ing and with­out hand­cuffs on Panuke Road be­fore he was even­tu­ally ar­rested in Three Mile Plains.

The RCMP thanked the pub­lic and the me­dia for their as­sis­tance in a news re­lease. This isn’t the first time Samp­son has at­tempted to flee po­lice cus­tody.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.