ALL-PURPOSE BARBECUE SAUCE
Makes: about 2 cups (500 ml) 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
1 cup (250 ml) chopped yellow onions
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 cup (250 ml) ketchup
1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup (60 ml) fancy molasses 1/4 cup (60 ml) packed golden brown sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) yellow mustard 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Pour in ketchup, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
4. Transfer sauce to a blender; purée until smooth. Alternatively, purée using a hand blender.
5. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
Note: May be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.