Trial set for sus­pected se­rial killer Man de­scribed crimes in chill­ing de­tail, ‘never showed any re­gret’, po­lice say

China Daily (Hong Kong) - - CHINA - By CAO YIN caoyin@chi­nadaily.com.cn

A sus­pected se­rial killer charged with mul­ti­ple counts of homi­cide, rape, rob­bery and mu­ti­lat­ing corpses will stand trial in Baiyin, Gansu prov­ince, on Tues­day.

Baiyin In­ter­me­di­ate Peo­ple’s Court posted a statement on Sina Weibo on Fri­day say­ing that it will hear the case of Gao Chengy­ong in its No 1 court­room, but it added that the trial will not be open to the pub­lic be­cause of pri­vacy con­sid­er­a­tions. It did not elab­o­rate.

Gao, 52, is ac­cused of killing 11 peo­ple in Gansu and the In­ner Mon­go­lia au­ton­o­mous re­gion between May 1988 and Fe­bru­ary 2002, ac­cord­ing to the Min­istry of Pub­lic Se­cu­rity. The youngest al­leged vic­tim was 8 years old.

Gao has been de­tained since he was ar­rested on Aug 26 at a peo­ple gro­cery store on a vo­ca­tional school cam­pus in Baiyin. Ten of the killings oc­curred in Baiyin, ac­cord­ing to the au­thor­i­ties.

The case was thrust into the pub­lic eye last year when the city’s po­lice au­thor­i­ties un­cov­ered ev­i­dence, in­clud­ing DNA tests, and named Gao as the sus­pect. Dur­ing pre­lim­i­nary in­ter­ro­ga­tions, po­lice said, he con­fessed to the crimes but said he had no par­tic­u­lar mo­tive for what he did.

De­tails re­leased ear­lier by the min­istry said the vic­tims were young women dressed in red. Gao raped them and killed them by cut­ting their throats af­ter fol­low­ing them home, it said, adding that he mu­ti­lated his vic­tims’ bod­ies.

In June, Wang Hu­min, deputy direc­tor of Baiyin’s pros­e­cut­ing author­ity, said, “The case has been a top pri­or­ity for ju­di­cial work­ers for a long time.”

Wang said the killings caused panic among res­i­dents in the city. The po­lice of­fered a re­ward of 200,000 yuan ($29,500) in a bid to cap­ture the sus­pect.

“We’ve al­ways at­tached ut­most im­por­tance to the case,” he said. “Af­ter Gao was de­tained, the au­thor­i­ties se­lected more than 10 pros­e­cu­tors to deal with his prose­cu­tion.” He said rel­a­tives of the vic­tims had been con­tacted to gather in­for­ma­tion and pro­vide sup­port.

Po­lice of­fi­cers and pros­e­cu­tors work­ing on the case said Gao had re­mained calm and was able to de­scribe de­tails about his al­leged crimes, in­clud­ing the time and place of each in­ci­dent, how he killed the vic­tims and how he fled.

“He never showed any re­gret or sor­row for the vic­tims or their fam­i­lies when dis­cussing the de­tails,” Wang said.

Zhu Aimin, the at­tor­ney rep­re­sent­ing Gao, said his client had men­tioned the crimes had noth­ing to do with his own fam­ily and hoped his rel­a­tives would not be af­fected.

were al­legedly killed by Gao Chengy­ong between 1988 and 2002.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from China

© PressReader. All rights reserved.