Madrid sues pa­per over Ron­aldo al­le­ga­tions

China Daily (Hong Kong) - - SPORTS -

MADRID — Real Madrid said on Thurs­day it had filed a law­suit against a Por­tuguese news­pa­per that claimed the Span­ish gi­ant pushed Cris­tiano Ron­aldo to hush up an al­leged rape case.

Real has taken le­gal ac­tion against Cor­reio da Manha af­ter the pa­per on Wed­nes­day re­ported that the club “pres­sured Ron­aldo to sign” a nondis­clo­sure agree­ment and pay com­pen­sa­tion to his ac­cuser, Kathryn May­orga.

“Real Madrid has ab­so­lutely no knowl­edge of any of the in­for­ma­tion that the news­pa­per pub­lished with re­gard to the player Cris­tiano Ron­aldo, and there­fore the club could not have taken ac­tion on a mat­ter of which it had no knowl­edge,” the club said in a state­ment.

Ron­aldo, 33, who left Madrid over the sum­mer to join Ital­ian cham­pion Ju­ven­tus in a deal worth 100 mil­lion eu­ros ($116 mil­lion), has been in tur­moil since a case in­volv­ing rape al­le­ga­tions against him, dat­ing back to 2009, was re­opened by Las Ve­gas po­lice last week.

The case was orig­i­nally closed af­ter Ron­aldo signed a con­fi­den­tial­ity agree­ment in 2010 with May­orga, a for­mer model now aged 34, who re­ceived a pay­off in re­turn for her si­lence.

May­orga al­leged that she had been raped on June 13, 2009, just days af­ter Ron­aldo had joined Madrid from Manch­ester United.

The Por­tuguese news­pa­per re­ported that Real, wish­ing to avoid a scan­dal, pressed Ron­aldo to pay com­pen­sa­tion to May­orga to hush up the af­fair.

Ron­aldo’s lawyer in­sisted on Wed­nes­day the player did not rape the woman in a Las Ve­gas ho­tel and that their sex­ual en­counter was “com­pletely con­sen­sual”.

ance of doubt, Cris­tiano Ron­aldo’s po­si­tion has al­ways been, and con­tin­ues to be, that what hap­pened in 2009 in Las Ve­gas was com­pletely con­sen­sual,” lawyer Peter Chris­tiansen said in a state­ment.

Ron­aldo freely ad­mits sign­ing the non-dis­clo­sure agree­ment but his lawyer in­sisted he sim­ply wished to put an end to the al­le­ga­tions.

Chris­tiansen also said that doc­u­ments re­pro­duced by me­dia out­lets in re­cent days pur­port­edly quot­ing the player and in­clud­ing de­tails of the non-dis­clo­sure ac­cord in­volv­ing a pay­ment of $375,000 to his ac­cuser were “pure in­ven­tion”.

Der Spiegel, the Ger­man mag­a­zine which pub­lished the story, re­leased a state­ment

is care­fully re­searched. We have hun­dreds of doc­u­ments from dif­fer­ent sources that sub­stan­ti­ate our re­port­ing.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from China

© PressReader. All rights reserved.