Aus­tralia All Out For 85

Fiji Sun - - Sport - Feed­back: os­eab@fi­

Hobart: Aus­tralia have suf­fered a calami­tous start to the sec­ond Test against South Africa, crash­ing to 5-18 be­fore com­pletely un­rav­el­ling to end up 85 all out shortly af­ter lunch. The disas­ter echoed what hap­pened in Not­ting­ham last year, when they were bowled out for 60 in the Ashes de­cider.

Even that to­tal looked like it would be be­yond Steve Smith’s in an event­ful morn­ing at Bel­lerive, where Ver­non Phi­lan­der was on a hat-trick be­fore be­ing in­jured in a mid-pitch col­li­sion with Aus­tralia’s skip­per.

Phi­lan­der re­turned to the at­tack af­ter the meal break and fin­ished with fig­ures of 5-21 from 10.1 overs. The chaotic col­lapse, which came five years af­ter Aus­tralia were rolled for 47 by the same op­po­si­tion in Cape Town, would have been so much worse if not for Smith, one of only two bats­men to reach dou­ble fig­ures. The cap­tain’s knock of 48 rep­re­sented more than half of Aus­tralia’s to­tal and showed it was pos­si­ble to score runs once a bats­man was set­tled. The de­ter­mined right-han­der also man­aged to take Phi­lan­der out of the at­tack for most of the morn­ing ses­sion, but not in a way he would have liked.

Phi­lan­der, who claimed fig­ures of 3-3 in a sen­sa­tional open­ing spell fea­tur­ing plenty of un­playable de­liv­er­ies, trudged off with a shoul­der in­jury af­ter clash­ing with Smith. Phi­lan­der turned and ap­pealed an­i­mat­edly af­ter a ball struck Smith’s pads in the 13th over, while Smith took off for a quick sin­gle. Phi­lan­der gri­maced, slumped to the ground shortly af­ter the blow then was taken to the rooms where his shoul­der was iced.

The right-armer re­turned to the at­tack af­ter lunch, dis­miss­ing debu­tant Joe Men­nie for 10 and Nathan Lyon for two to end the in­nings. Debu­tant Cal­lum Fer­gu­son, who faced Phi­lan­der’s hat-trick ball fol­low­ing the dis­missals of Us­man Khawaja and Adam Vo­ges, was run out for three by sub­sti­tute fielder Dane Vi­las. -AAP New Zealand in Work­ing­ton in the Four Na­tions Rugby League Scot­land led 12-10 with six min­utes to go but Ger­ard Beale scored two tries for the Four Na­tions cham­pi­ons. Aitken re­sponded with the try of the match and then Brough kicked the ex­tras on a wet night in Cum­bria. The re­sult means that Eng­land will take on Aus­tralia in the fi­nal if they beat or draw with the Kan­ga­roos to­day. “I’m as proud as any­thing,” said Scot­land coach Steve McCormack. Not only that nev­er­say-die at­ti­tude from our lads but just the man­ner in which we got that re­sult. “We’re also a bit dis­ap­pointed that we didn’t win. The play­ers were sen­sa­tional. We’ve played against the world’s best team tonight with a young team.” Brough, who equalled An­drew Hen­der­son’s ap­pear­ance record with his 23rd cap, needed pain-killing in­jec­tions be­fore and dur­ing the match.

“I prob­a­bly shouldn’t have played,” he said. “I can’t put my heel down now. But it was worth it with the ef­fort the boys put in.” New Zealand were clear favourites to beat Scot­land, who had been thumped by both Aus­tralia and Eng­land in their first two games. But McCormack’s side started brightly and, helped by a string of early penal­ties, played much of the open­ing 20 min­utes in the op­po­si­tion’s half. The star-stud­ded Ki­wis took the lead when right winger David Fusitu’a took an offload from sec­ond rower Tohu Har­ris to score a try on his de­but, which Isaac Luke con­verted to make it 6-0. Wi­gan winger Lewis Tier­ney re­sponded for Scot­land three min­utes later, chas­ing Lach­lan Coote’s grub­ber kick for his first in­ter­na­tional try. Play­ing against the wind and rain in the sec­ond half, New Zealand ex­tended their lead when Fusitu’a crossed for his sec­ond try. -BBC Sports

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Fiji

© PressReader. All rights reserved.