Fam­ily flees

TO SAFETY FROM burn­ing home

Fiji Sun - - Front Page - PAULINI RATULAILAI and YOUNGJU CHO Photo: Paulini Ratulailai Edited by Jonathan Bryce paulini.ratulailai@fi­jisun.com.fj

Ten mem­bers of a fam­ily say they are blessed to be alive after a fire de­stroyed their Nadi home yes­ter­day. The home owner, Vero Were­sili Tonini, said they were thank­ful to God that a one-year-old child was safe too. The fire de­stroyed their home early yes­ter­day at Koro­ciri, Nadi. Mr Tonini said it hap­pened so fast that the fire con­sumed the house in min­utes. “What I gath­ered was that the fire started from my nephew’s room. His wife and two chil­dren live in their room. He had gone out to town with my other un­cle, who also lives in the house with his wife, for shop­ping as we pre­pare for our bazaar. “I just woke up be­cause I heard some­one call­ing out there was a fire. As I came out of the room I couldn’t breathe be­cause of the smoke. It was all black in­side the house.

“I tried to look for my fam­ily mem­bers, my wife, kids and my grand­chil­dren. I was calm and tried to hold breath as I tried to find my way around the house look­ing for them. We couldn’t save any­thing. What we saved are the only clothes that we are wearing,” Mr Tonini said. Mr Tonini, a re­tired Hot Bread Kitchen staff mem­ber in Nadi, said he was happy to see his fam­ily safe and well. He said he was re­lieved that his grand­daugh­ter was safe after suf­fer­ing from burns on her right arm and leg.

Ke­vueli Bogilevu, 25, was in tears when she heard his one-year-old daugh­ter got out safely dur­ing the fire.

Siliva Bogilevu had suf­fered burns dur­ing the fire that de­stroyed their home. “She was sleep­ing in­side the room when the fire got out; when a cousin of mine came in­side the room he saw that she was try­ing to get out of the cot. He went in grabbed her and took her out. “I went to town with my un­cle for shop­ping when we re­ceived a call. The only thing that came to my mind were my kids. “We rushed back to check them, but she was taken to Nadi Hos­pi­tal and now have been trans­ferred to Lau­toka with my wife.

“I am thank­ful that they are all safe,” Mr Bogilevu said.

Vero Were­sili Tonini with his daugh­ter Kata­rina Sau and his grand­son Mikaele Ra­jale Ju­nior stand­ing in front of their burnt house at Koro­ciri in Nadi yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Fiji

© PressReader. All rights reserved.