Wife Hon­ours Hus­band Five Months Af­ter Al­leged Mur­der

Wo­man still gets calls from mys­te­ri­ous man who calls her by name only known to hus­band

Fiji Sun - - Nation - CHARLES CHAM­BERS Edited by Paula Tu­vuki

It has been five months since that fate­ful in­ci­dent in Lau­toka. A wo­man, whose hus­band, a for­mer com­pany ex­ec­u­tive, who was in the car when it burned on June eight this year, ac­cord­ing to Po­lice, re­lived the night prior to her hus­band’s al­leged mur­der and charred re­mains be­ing found in his ve­hi­cle in Lau­toka.

Yes­ter­day, the fam­ily held prayers at their home in Kash­mir, Lau­toka; a rit­ual ob­served by Hin­dus five months af­ter some­one’s death. “I re­ally do not know what is hap­pen­ing with in­ves­ti­ga­tions, but I will visit the Po­lice some­times this week to find out how in­ves­ti­ga­tions were go­ing,” Ran­jini Devi said yes­ter­day. Po­lice spokesper­son Ana Naisoro said in­ves­ti­ga­tions into the case were still on-go­ing. Salesh Chand was the for­mer re­gional man­ager for Vinod Pa­tel.

Ms Devi said she was still liv­ing the pain of not know­ing where the in­ves­ti­ga­tions into her hus­band death were head­ing. But, she has been re­ceiv­ing phone calls af­ter his death for some time. The calls were made from a mo­bile phone num­ber 9685027, by a male caller and each time the man called he sounded in­tox­i­cated. The man ini­tially said his name was Raju and was liv­ing in Raki­raki. Lately he said he was liv­ing in Waiyavi in Lau­toka and was in the Repub­lic of the Mil­i­tary Forces. Ms Devi said the most wor­ry­ing as­pect for her in re­gards to the calls was that the per­son was us­ing a name only her hus­band called her by. “Only my late hus­band used to call me by that name, which was my home name,” she said with­out re­veal­ing what the name was. “It’s fright­en­ing be­cause he knows that name and has asked me not to get mar­ried again be­cause he wanted me,” she said. “I have re­ported the mat­ter to the Po­lice, but noth­ing has been done,” she said. Mean­while, Ms Devi said her hus­band was too drunk to drive the night he left their home in his com­pany ve­hi­cle.

Their son, Ravnil, 16, a stu­dent at Ti­lak High School said his fa­ther came from Raki­raki that night on June 7 with two co-work­ers from Raki­raki, a man and a wo­man. He said at around 1.30am, his fa­ther was on the porch of their house. He was drunk and kept fall­ing while try­ing to stand up. “My fa­ther sat in the pas­sen­ger’s seat while the man drove the car and they left.” Mrs Devi said af­ter some time she be­came anx­ious. At around 2.37am, she called her hus­band’s mo­bile phone. “He an­swered and said he was com­ing back from Ba.” How­ever the most baf­fling part was that the car was seen al­ready burn­ing at around 3am at the Fiji Sugar Cor­po­ra­tion’s Lau­toka mill yard. Ravnil said his mother did not leave the house but slept. Some­time later, the male worker ar­rived with some other peo­ple in a car. They came and slept. Mrs Devi said she asked the co­worker where her hus­band was and he said Mr Chand told him he was go­ing to Ba. “My fa­ther was too drunk to even stand up so how come he was driv­ing?” Ravnil said. “The next morn­ing the Po­lice ar­rived and took both of them away for ques­tion­ing,” Mrs Devi said.

“But that is the last I have ac­tu­ally heard any­thing about the in­ves­ti­ga­tion apart from a team of Po­lice of­fi­cers who came to my work place and said they were from Suva and were ask­ing about the in­ci­dent.”

While the Fiji Sun was there yes­ter­day, a call was made to the num­ber left by the fe­male Po­lice of­fi­cer from Suva and she told Mrs Devi that an In­spec­tor Manoa was head­ing the in­ves­ti­ga­tions.

For Mrs Devi, there were still a lot of ques­tions still unan­swered ques­tions about the events of that night prior to her hus­band’s death. Po­lice Com­mis­sioner Bri­gadier-Gen­eral Stiveni Qil­iho said on July 7 that po­lice had some leads on the case and in­ves­ti­ga­tions were con­tin­u­ing.

Photo: Kathrin Krishna

The ve­hi­cle which was found burnt at FSC Grounds in Lau­toka in June.

De­ceased Salesh Chand.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Fiji

© PressReader. All rights reserved.