So, if the real Grace Kelly were planning a picnic to seduce Cary Grant, what would she tuck into her hamper? If she stopped at a local Cannes boulangerie she might pick up a Pan Bagnat. Something like an unconstructed, but structured, Salade Nicoise, this stuffed country bread is simultaneously a rustic and re ned tuna sandwich. Please, do not even think of using Balsamic vinegar.
TO SERVE 4 - 6 PICNICKERS.
• 1 medium loaf round (boule) pain de compagne (country loaf)
• I clove garlic, peeled
• 1 tablespoon grainy mustard 1
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 2 anchovies, nely chopped
• 125 ml/ 1/2 cup olive oil
• salt and pepper
• a handful of arugula/roquette salad • 180 g/6 ounces drained tinned albacore tuna • 16 black Niçoise olives, pitted
• 2 tablespoons capers
• 2 large round spring onions, with green, sliced • 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced
• 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced Slice off the top third of the boule in one
piece to make a lid. Pull out some of the soft crumbs from the bottom of the bread to make a shallow well. Rub the garlic clove all over the exposed bread interior, including the underside of the lid, to impart a delicate avor, then save the clove for another use.
Make a vinaigrette by whisking the mustard with the vinegar and chopped anchovies, then slowly whisking in the olive oil until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place the arugula/ roquette over the bottom of the bread.
In a bowl, crumble the tuna and mix with half the vinaigrette, adding the olives and capers. Pat this over the arugula/roquette. Top with the onions, tomatoes and eggs and drizzle over the remaining vinaigrette. Replace the top lid of the loaf.
Wrap the loaf in plastic and place a weight
on top to compact the lling for at least two hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. Cut into wedges to serve, after nding the closest thing to Cary Grant and speeding into the hills in a sexy sports car.
1. Mathieu Piazza et l’equipe de Los perros a l’AME 2. frederique Bel et Jacques braunstein sur Sud Radio 3. Agnès et Big John au baron