Leg­endary bat­tle­ship re­turns af­ter con­ser­va­tion work

Kathimerini English - - Front Page -

Tugs tow the 107year-old bat­tle­ship Ge­or­gios Averof to Tro­cadero ma­rina in Palaio Faliro in south­ern Athens, yes­ter­day. The 10,000-ton for­mer Hel­lenic Navy flag­ship re­turned to its berth, where it serves as a float­ing mu­seum, af­ter months of pri­vately funded main­te­nance and con­ser­va­tion work at the Skara­man­gas ship­yard. Named af­ter the Greek bene­fac­tor who partly fi­nanced its pur­chase, the ar­mored cruiser was built in an Ital­ian ship­yard in the early 20th cen­tury. It took part in both world wars be­fore be­ing de­comis­sioned in 1952.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Greece

© PressReader. All rights reserved.