Communities Ministry helping to complete Kitty Market overhaul
The Ministry of Communities is assisting the Mayor and City Council (M&CC) with the completion of the rehabilitation of the Kitty Market.
The works on the market, which were initiated in February, 2016, have been stalled for months due to the M&CC being unable to source finances.
However, the Ministry of Communities, in an ad in last Thursday’s Stabroek News, invited bids for the rehabilitation of Kitty Market.
M&CC spokeswoman Debra Lewis explained to Stabroek News that the council had written to the ministry asking for financial assistance to complete the project. She noted that the council is hoping that the rehabilitation works would be completed by the end of 2017, given the assistance from the ministry.
The deadline for the submission of bids is November 21. All bids are to be submitted to the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board at Main and Urquhart streets, Georgetown.
City Council officials had previously said that 70% of phase one of the project has been completed and that the remaining 30% would entail the installation of electrical wiring, air conditioning units, and other works. Workers had already started construction stalls but had to cease work after the council ran out of money for the project.
Recently, vendors, who have been displaced during the protracted rehabilitation works, voiced their skepticism about the project being completed this year.