• 1½ teaspoons dry all-purpose seasoning • Salt (see notes) • Freshly ground black pepper • Minced hot pepper to taste • ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions (white/purple and green parts) • 1 egg • Vegetable oil
1. Mix together all the ingredients except the oil. Cover and refrigerate overnight or let rest at room temperature for no more than 1 hour.
2. Coat the bottom of a shallow frying pan with oil and place over medium heat until hot.
3. Working in batches, add the shrimp by heaped teaspoons and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels and repeat until all the mixture is used up. You may need to add a little more oil in between batches.
4. Serve hot or at room temperature.
• Check the label of your all-purpose seasoning, if it already has salt, no need to add more.
• It is important to let the mixture rest so that the flavours can meld and the breadcrumbs and egg combine to hold the shrimp when cooked.
• If entertaining, make the mixture the night before and bring up to room temperature before cooking.
• Use dried breadcrumbs if you do not have fresh, however, the fresh breadcrumbs make the nuggets lighter. If using dried breadcrumbs, only use 1 cup and dampen with a little milk before adding to the other ingredients.