Trio charged with mur­der of el­derly women

Stabroek News - - FRONT PAGE -

Three men were yes­ter­day taken be­fore a city court charged with the mur­ders of Con­stance Fraser, and Phyl­lis Cae­sar, who were killed dur­ing a rob­bery at their South Road and Al­bert Street home last week.

Charged were Im­ran Khan, called Christo­pher Khan, 25, of In­de­pen­dence Boule­vard; Stephen Ja­son An­drews, of Al­bouys­town, and Phillip Suf­frien, 23, of 66 Hunter Street, Al­bouys­town.

The first charge read to the three men stated that be­tween Oc­to­ber 2 and Oc­to­ber 3, at Lot 243 South Road and Al­bert Street, they mur­dered Con­stance Fraser.

A sec­ond charge was read which stated that on the said date and at the very lo­ca­tion they mur­dered Phyl­lis Cae­sar.

The ac­cused men were not re­quired to en­ter a plea to the in­dictable charge.

Po­lice Pros­e­cu­tor Arvin Moore told the court that the post-mortem re­ports are out­stand­ing for both files.

Sub­se­quently, the three men were re­manded to prison and will make their next court ap­pear­ance on Oc­to­ber 26.

Mean­while, in the court­room of Mag­is­trate Fabayo Azore, Seeta Khan, 36, a beg­gar, was charged with re­ceiv­ing stolen money.

The charge stated that be­tween Oc­to­ber 2 and Oc­to­ber 3, at Al­bouys­town, she re­ceived from Christo­pher Khan $60,000, know­ing same to be stolen, prop­erty of Con­stance Fraser.

Seeta Khan, de­nied the charge. There was no ob­jec­tion to bail by the pros­e­cu­tor and as such, the Mag­is­trate granted the ac­cused, a mother of three, $25,000 bail.

Her mat­ter was later ad­journed to Oc­to­ber 25.

Fraser and Cae­sar, of Lot 243 South Road and Al­bert Street, Ge­orge­town, were dis­cov­ered around 9.30 am last week Tues­day by mem­bers of their church, the South Road Full Gospel Assem­bly, after sev­eral ef­forts to con­tact them proved fu­tile.

Mean­while, au­top­sies per­formed last week by gov­ern­ment pathol­o­gist Dr. Ne­haul Singh on the re­mains of the women re­vealed that they both died as a re­sult of as­phyx­i­a­tion, due to suf­fo­ca­tion and man­ual stran­gu­la­tion, com­pounded by trauma to the head.

At the time of the dis­cov­ery, their bod­ies were in sep­a­rate bed­rooms. Their hands and feet were bound and they were both gagged.

It is sus­pected that they had been the vic­tims of a rob­bery some­time be­tween the evening of Oc­to­ber 2 and the morn­ing of Oc­to­ber 3, since the house was com­pletely ran­sacked and sev­eral items were re­ported miss­ing.

The door to the up­per flat of the two-storey house was also found open and it is be­lieved that the sus­pect(s) might have gained

en­try into the house by climb­ing onto the ve­ran­dah.

Stabroek News was pre­vi­ously told that it was cus­tom­ary for Cae­sar to open the church ev­ery morn­ing. How­ever, church mem­bers sensed that some­thing was amiss last Tues­day morn­ing when she did not turn up to per­form her usual du­ties.

As a re­sult, they made sev­eral calls to her and vis­ited the home but got no an­swer. They then no­ticed the door to the ve­ran­dah open, and upon check­ing, the bod­ies were dis­cov­ered. The po­lice were im­me­di­ately sum­moned.

Fraser was a re­tiree, and Cae­sar, who was the care­taker of the church, also worked at a pri­vate school lo­cated a short dis­tance away from the home.

Im­ran Khan

Phillip Suf­frien

Stephen Ja­son An­drews

Seeta Khan

Phillip Suf­frien

Stephen Ja­son An­drews

Im­ran Khan

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Guyana

© PressReader. All rights reserved.