Clifton house de­stroyed by sus­pected elec­tri­cal fire

-home­owner says GPL ig­nored re­port of spark­ing wire

Stabroek News - - NEWS -

Af­ter watch­ing her house go up in flames af­ter a sus­pected elec­tri­cal fire yes­ter­day morn­ing, a Clifton Vil­lage, Coren­tyne res­i­dent is blam­ing the Guyana Power and Light In­cor­po­rated (GPL), which she says did not act on a re­port of a spark­ing wire along a nearby util­ity pole hours be­fore. Su­nita Jagdeo owned the two-bed­room Lot 85 Clifton Vil­lage, Coren­tyne house, which was in­fre­quently oc­cu­pied by her brother.

Su­nita, who lives in an­other house in the same lot, re­counted that min­utes af­ter 12 am yes­ter­day she was awak­ened by smoke.

Ac­cord­ing to the woman, upon look­ing out the win­dow, she saw her house en­gulfed in flames.

She said neighbours im­me­di­ately rushed to her as­sis­tance and called the fire ser­vice, which re­port­edly ar­rived 30 min­utes later with­out any wa­ter. Her brother was not at home at the time of the fire.

Mean­while, the woman ex­plained that ear­lier in the night a wire on the elec­tri­cal pole sparked a few times. The woman said she im­me­di­ately made con­tact with GPL, which only ar­rived af­ter her house was de­stroyed.

Jagdeo’s other house, where she re­sides with her daugh­ter and son, was scorched as a re­sult of the fire. How­ever, the fire fight­ers were able to pre­vent any ma­jor dam­age to the house.

The fire ser­vice has since launched an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the ori­gin of the fire.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Guyana

© PressReader. All rights reserved.