• Based on the overall test findings, Brooke Bond Red Label is the top performer. Next in ranking are Brooke Bond Taj Mahal, Trusted Value Premium CTC Leaf, Tata Premium and Reliance Aarambh.
• The value-for-money brand is Trusted Value Premium CTC Leaf.
• Total flavonoids were found highest in Brooke Bond Red Label, while theaflavins were found highest in Marvel. Flavonoids and theaflavins are known for their antioxidant properties.
• All brands except Rungta’s were found to meet the requirements of FSS Regulations and Indian Standard. Pesticides, namely quinalphos, were found to be above the prescribed limits in Rungta’s – this means it is not safe for consumption.
• Heavy metals – specifically lead and copper – were within the acceptable limit in all the brands.
• Acid-insoluble ash and total ash were within the permissible limit.
• Iron filings, aflatoxins and colouring matter were not detected in any of the brands.