’Twas a Cosmo Week...
Last month, I took a 34-hour journey (where’s my bravery award?!) to Buenos Aires. And it was love at first sight. The buildings are beautiful (surprising, painted in pink, green, and orange); the theatre scene unforgettable (I even enjoyed a book in the balcony of an old theatre that’s been converted into a bookstore); and the shopping and nightlife simply thrilling. But the biggest highlight of my trip was Cosmic 2014— Cosmo’s biennial conference where editors and publishers from 60 Cosmo editions come together to discuss the future of the world’s most iconic magazine. I spent four glorious days going through eye-opening presentations, chatting with sister editors, and jotting down tonnes of amazing ideas. It’s an understatement to say that I learned a LOT. And for lack of a hundred or so pages I’d need to write that all down, here are just five of the cool things I learned at Cosmic 2014...
1) YOU’RE ALL WE THINK ABOUT: Millennials are taking over the world, and becoming the most important influencers/purchasers/ doers. Who’s that? YOU! Millennials, or Gen Y, are people born between 1980 and early 2000s. Which makes up the majority of Cosmo readers! It’s this largest generation that’s rising the corporate ladder, influencing political decisions of our times, buying the hottest lipstick shades, and doing all kinds of amazing things with their lives. And which magazine truly understands, talks to, and celebrates millennials? You guessed it, Cosmo!
2) BEAUTY RULES THE ROOST: If there’s one thing a Cosmo girl loves as much as her shoes, it’s beauty—hair how-tos, makeup tutorials, and product testing! Which is why Cosmo owns beauty in most countries, offering you more pages and info per issue than any other magazine.
3) WE’RE PHONE OBSESSED: Apparently, 90% of us wake up and check our phone first. We check it during meals and in the bathroom. We spend 40% more time with friends online than in person and we lose an average of 30 minutes of sleep because of the Internet. Good or bad? You decide!
4) WHAT’S THE SELFIE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD?: It’s Makati City, the financial centre of Philippines, with 258 selfie-takers per 100,000 people!
5) WHO (STILL) RULES THE WORLD? WE DO!: Cosmo remains the most powerful women’s magazine in the world, with 61 editions, over 45 million readers, and 39 websites. More power to us...and more power to you, Cosmo girl!
Till next month, Strike a pose? You never need to ask a Cosmo girl! Me with Cosmo US’ new Editor, Joanna Coles! PS: she’s awesome! Like I (sometimes) say, it didn’t happen unless there’s a picture to prove it... Partying it up at a special flea-market cocktail night, with the Eds of Cosmo Middle East and France, and Hearst Creative Director, Peter Yates ‘Let’s show off our heels!’ (with Astrid Bertoncini, Hearst’s Executive Editorial Director) Selfie time with Cosmo Philippines Ed, Myrza Sison Taken just before we were treated to an amazing, impromptu tango performance With the charismatic Michelle Herrera Mulligan, Editor of Cosmo for Latinas