Deccan Chronicle

Naxal-hit areas: MHA awaits telecom dept nod on towers

-

Delhi, May 30: As security forces battle to put an end to Naxal violence, the home ministry wants mobile phone towers installed in the affected region to remain operationa­l irrespecti­ve of financial implicatio­ns to give them the advantage of smooth communicat­ion and is awaiting the telecom department’s nod, officials said on Sunday.

At a recent meeting chaired by Union home secretary Ajay Bhalla, it was conveyed to the telecom department in no uncertain terms that these mobile phone towers should remain active. Previously, a series of meetings were held on the matter.

A letter has been sent to Universal Service Obligation Fund administra­tor Anshuli Arya conveying the decision of the home ministry to extend the operation of all these sites. USOF is the pool of funds generated by charging all telecom companies on their Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR).

This fund, which is handled by the department of telecommun­ications, is used for providing funds for telecom connectivi­ty in rural and such areas which are not commercial­ly beneficial for telecom operators.

Over 2,200 telecom towers were installed in Chhattishg­arh and nine other Naxalism-affected states that form the ‘Red Corridor’ to ensure communicat­ion facility for security forces as well as state police agencies.

The towers, which were funded by USOF for five years, could be extended by another two years under an ongoing tender of BSNL to help the security forces maintain an easy access to the communicat­ion facility.

However, the silence of the telecom department for its extension has left everyone in despair, including the state-run BSNL which has been following up on it with USOF for almost 20 months.

The BSNL CMD has shot off a letter asking for a clear-cut decision and whether they need to shut down the operations as BSNL is losing money every month to run these commercial­ly unviable sites.

BSNL wrote a letter to the telecom secretary asking for clear directions on whether the mobile towers have to be kept operationa­l or not. It said that BSNL had installed 356 telecom sites in the Naxalism-affected areas from its own resources for which non-tendered OPEX (Operationa­l Expenditur­e) was provided from the USOF from September 2014 to 2019. —

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India