An­to­nio Ban­deras cancels project on Gianni Ver­sace

Hindustan Times (Patna) - Live - - HT City | Time Out -

Ac­tor An­to­nio Ban­deras (above right) and Palm d’Or-win­ning film­maker Bille Au­gust (be­low right) have de­cided to can­cel their movie, ti­tled Ver­sace, af­ter Amer­i­can TV pro­ducer Ryan Mur­phy an­nounced a sim­i­lar project on the Ital­ian de­signer.

Ver­sace, at the height of his fame, was gunned down by a se­rial killer on the steps of his Mi­ami Beach man­sion on July 15, 1997.

Last year at the Berlin film fes­ti­val, Bille Au­gust re­vealed that he was pre­par­ing a biopic of Ver­sace and that Ban­deras would star in the movie.

But last au­tumn, an­other Gianni Ver­sace project was an­nounced when Mur­phy, the creator of shows such as Nip/Tuck and Glee, de­cided that he would fo­cus his pop­u­lar Amer­i­can Crime Story se­ries on Ver­sace’s mur­der.

The high-pro­file TV cast in­cludes Edgar Ramirez as Gianni Ver­sace, Ricky Martin as his boyfriend An­to­nio D’Amico, Pene­lope Cruz as his sis­ter Donatella and Dar­ren Criss as the se­rial killer An­drew Cu­nanan.

Ban­deras says, “I saw Bille at the Cannes film fes­ti­val. Be­cause there was a TV show go­ing on, that my friend Pene­lope is do­ing, we looked at each other and said ‘this movie doesn’t make sense any­more’... I met [Ver­sace] in the house where he was killed, ac­tu­ally, a cou­ple of times.”

Be­cause there was a TV show, [Bille and I] looked at each other and said ‘this movie doesn’t make sense any­more’ AN­TO­NIO BAN­DERAS AC­TOR

PHOTO: CARL JUSTE/MI­AMI HER­ALD/AP

PHOTO: STEPHANE MAHE/REUTERS

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.