In­fant dies in Thane am­bu­lance fire

One-day-old charred to death as doc­tor and nurse save them­selves, leave him be­hind

Hindustan Times ST (Mumbai) - HT Navi Mumbai Live - - FRONT PAGE - HT Cor­re­spon­dent ht­metro@hin­du­san­times.com

THANE: A day- old baby was charred af­ter a cylin­der ex­ploded in­side the am­bu­lance in which he was placed, out­side a Thane hos­pi­tal early on Fri­day. A doc­tor and nurse ac­com­pa­ny­ing the child jumped out when the fire broke out, but left the baby be­hind.

The fire broke out af­ter the doc­tor switched on the oxy­gen sup­ply for the ven­ti­la­tor. The doc­tor, Bhavdeep Garg, and nurse Rejo Chacko man­aged to jump out min­utes be­fore the cylin­der ex­ploded.

Within min­utes, the ve­hi­cle was en­gulfed in flames, as the child’s fa­ther, Man­ish Jain, and other rel­a­tives looked on help­lessly. “It hap­pened in just a few sec­onds. We were out­side the hos­pi­tal,” said a fam­ily mem­ber, not wish­ing to be named.

“As the doc­tor started the oxy­gen sup­ply, we no­ticed a spark. Be­fore we re­alised, the en­tire vehi- cle had caught fire. Ev­ery­one was run­ning and no one re­alised the baby was still in­side the am­bu­lance,” he said.

The baby was born on Thurs­day at a pri­vate hos­pi­tal in Bhi­wandi, but de­vel­oped med­i­cal com­pli­ca­tions, af­ter which he was shifted to Thane’s Vedant Hos­pi­tal. When his con­di­tion did not im­prove, his par­ents de­cided to take him to Surya Hos­pi­tal in San­tacruz, which sent an am­bu­lance with the doc­tor and nurse at 1am on Fri­day.

The baby was put on ven­ti­la­tor sup­port in­side the am­bu­lance.

“When the oxy­gen cylin­der was switched on, there was a spark. But the am­bu­lance driver, Ganesh Shinde, did not no­tice it and started the ve­hi­cle. The fire broke out in a few sec­onds,” said Ashok Jain, Man­ish’s brother-in­law, who was stand­ing out­side.

CON­TIN­UED ON P11

RE­LATED RE­PORT, P5

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.