Civic body pulls down 591 shanties in Nerul, Belapur
STRINGENT NMMC chief threatens police action against ward officers who ignored such structures
NERUL: The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) has initiated a special drive against illegal slums in the city. The move was ordered by municipal commissioner Tukaram Munde. So far, 591 shanties in Belapur and Nerul have been pulled down.
The commissioner has said that no encroachments and illegal constructions be allowed in the city and action be taken against the existing ones. He has threatened to file police complaints against ward officers and officials responsible for ignoring such constructions.
The anti-encroachment department has initiated the drive in every node of the city. On Wednesday, action was initiated at Tata Nagar slums in CBD Belapur. In the day-long operation, around 375 shanties were pulled down.
To ensure local residents do not obstruct the drive, over 60 police officials and personnel were deployed at the spot. The NMMC has also asked Cidco to enclose the plot with a boundary wall to prevent encroachment.
The NMMC officials said 296 hutments had come up after 2000 in Gandhi Nagar in Nerul. The civic body undertook a drive in the area on Tuesday and removed all shanties.
The demolition drives were led by deputy municipal commissioner Subhash Ingle, along with assistant commissioner Kailash Gaikwad, Cidco official Sunil Chinchole, ward officers of the two nodes and police officials.
Workers demolish structures at Nerul on Friday.