High-ten­sion wire snaps, 5 buf­faloes elec­tro­cuted

Hindustan Times ST (Mumbai) - HT Navi Mumbai Live - - NAVI - Megha Pol megha.pol@hin­dus­tan­times.com

Five buf­faloes were elec­tro­cuted af­ter com­ing in con­tact with a high-ten­sion wire which fell due to heavy rains on Fri­day.

The buf­faloes were in a cat­tle shed in Azad Na­gar along Ghod­bun­der Road when the in­ci­dent took place.

San­tosh Kadam, re­gional dis­as­ter man­age­ment of­fi­cer, said, “Due to heavy rains in the morn­ing a high ten­sion wire of the Ma­ha­rash­tra State Elec­tric­ity Dis­tri­bu­tion Com­pany Ltd. (MSEDCL) fell in­side a wa­ter pud­dle near the cat­tle shed.”

“The five buf­faloes that came in con­tact with this ca­ble got elec­tro­cuted. We buried at the Diva dump­ing ground,” said Kadam.

The owner of the shed said they will not press charges against the au­thor­i­ties.

Ram­bachan Ya­dav, the owner of the cat­tle shed, said, “There are 90 buf­faloes in our cat­tle shed. A high-ten­sion wire touched an iron pole of the cat­tle shed. The five buf­faloes sit­ting near the pole were elec­tro­cuted.”

He said he faced loss of Rs5 lakh. “We will not press charges against the power com­pany but treat it as a nat­u­ral calamity,” he said.

Ad­di­tional ex­ec­u­tive en­gi­neer AR Son­awane said, “It was a 440 volts wire sup­ply­ing elec­tric­ity to Azad Na­gar area from the trans­former near Dasharat Patil ground.”

“There was a house near the wire whose own­ers had pushed the wire near the other wire while ex­tend­ing the por­tion of their house. Due to heavy rains, the fric­tion be­tween the two wires led to sparks and the wire fell. We are yet to as­cer­tain if the buf­faloes died of elec­tro­cu­tion. An elec­tri­cal in­spec­tor in­spected the in­ci­dent and his re­port is awaited,” said Son­awane.

He added that the depart­ment au­dited the nearby houses to en­sure there is no leak­age in cur­rent.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.