High-tension wire snaps, 5 buffaloes electrocuted
Five buffaloes were electrocuted after coming in contact with a high-tension wire which fell due to heavy rains on Friday.
The buffaloes were in a cattle shed in Azad Nagar along Ghodbunder Road when the incident took place.
Santosh Kadam, regional disaster management officer, said, “Due to heavy rains in the morning a high tension wire of the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd. (MSEDCL) fell inside a water puddle near the cattle shed.”
“The five buffaloes that came in contact with this cable got electrocuted. We buried at the Diva dumping ground,” said Kadam.
The owner of the shed said they will not press charges against the authorities.
Rambachan Yadav, the owner of the cattle shed, said, “There are 90 buffaloes in our cattle shed. A high-tension wire touched an iron pole of the cattle shed. The five buffaloes sitting near the pole were electrocuted.”
He said he faced loss of Rs5 lakh. “We will not press charges against the power company but treat it as a natural calamity,” he said.
Additional executive engineer AR Sonawane said, “It was a 440 volts wire supplying electricity to Azad Nagar area from the transformer near Dasharat Patil ground.”
“There was a house near the wire whose owners had pushed the wire near the other wire while extending the portion of their house. Due to heavy rains, the friction between the two wires led to sparks and the wire fell. We are yet to ascertain if the buffaloes died of electrocution. An electrical inspector inspected the incident and his report is awaited,” said Sonawane.
He added that the department audited the nearby houses to ensure there is no leakage in current.