NMMC cracks down on debris dumping
The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) will take action against the debris dumping menace in the city.
The civic body has warned of criminal cases against those putting up illegal hoardings, banners and posters in areas under the NMMC’s jurisdiction.
Special toll-free helpline numbers, WhatsApp numbers and e-grievance facilities have been allocated to each ward. The headquarters will source information from residents regarding illegal constructions, hoardings and debris dumping.
“To make it easy for residents to inform the NMMC about debris dumping in mangroves, construction of illegal structures and illegal banners, posters and hoardings, we have started toll-free numbers in all eight wards. There are toll-free numbers at the headquarters too,” said Mundhe.
There have been instances of debris being dumped in mangroves under the NMMC’s jurisdiction. The Bombay high court ordered the NMMC to ensure that the mangroves are preserved and that no debris are dumped there.
“To prevent such dumping and to take action in cases where the dumping takes place, the NMMC has appointed all ward officers as nodal officers and entrusted them with the responsibility,” said municipal commissioner Tukaram Mundhe.
“Residents can send pictures of vehicles illegally dumping debris on mangroves and roads. We will ensure that the person’s identity is kept a secret,” he added.
“The Bombay high court has ordered the filing of criminal cases against those responsible for illegal hoardings, banners and posters. Hence all the residents, organisations and mandals have been informed that they should not advertise in the city through banners, posters, hoardings or wall paintings without seeking permission from the NMMC,” he said.
“Those violating the order will face criminal charges under the Maharashtra Prevention of Defacement of Public Property Act 1995,” he added.
NMMC has started complaint redressal centres in every ward.
Taking into account the popularity of WhatsApp, a number has been allocated for residents to post pictures of illegal advertisements, hoardings, posters in their areas apart from those of illegal constructions and debris dumping.
Residents can also complain through e-mail and also upload pictures of violations through the e-grievance facility on the civic body’s website www. nmmconline.com
The Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) has assured it will take action against the contractor and the bus driver after a new TMT bus was damaged after hitting a divider on Monday. The standing committee has alleged corruption in purchase of these buses and appointment of contractors to operate them.
On Monday evening, a new TMT bus (MH 04 EP 714) acquired by the corporation last week hit a divider near Gokul Nagar and the floor of the bus was damaged. The issue was raised in the standing committee by NCP corporator Najib Mullah, who alleged, “Last time the buses purchased by the corporation turned into scraps within a year. This time it took merely a couple of days for the buses to start breaking down. The rate of operation of these buses in Navi Mumbai and Thane shows huge discrepancies.”
The transport authority said the bus was damaged owing to the uneven divider. “The bus was a low-floor bus which is merely 400mm from the ground. The driver was speeding when the bus hit the divider and its lower body broke out from the remaining part. The contractor will take the responsibility of repairing this bus,” informed Sudheer Raut, TMT manager.
Additional commissioner Ashok Rankhamb said there was no corruption in the buying and operation contract as all of them were approved by the general body and the standing committee.
Mullah alleged that if the driver was speeding, it is blatant violation of the norms of the contract as he has not jeopardised the life of the commuters but also damaged public property.
Rankhamb said, “We have initiated an inquiry and if the driver is found guilty, action will be taken against both driver and the contractor responsible for appointing him.”