Some for naming CT team before BCCI boycott call
In the build-up to the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s Special General Meeting (SGM) on May 7, some members have suggested the Champions Trophy squad should be named and a decision on participation can be taken later.
The SGM will decide the future course of action i.e. whether India should participate in the ICC Champions Trophy or not after it lost out in the ICC meeting that drastically slashed its share of global cricket revenue from the sum earmarked in the Big Three model of 2014.
While those members seen as backing ICC chairman Shashank Manohar want the team to be named othersfeelsuchastepwill
A top Board official said, “We can name the squad. But status quo will remain as a final decision will be taken only after the SGM. If we name the squad before the has weakened. It will be a climb down from where we are, bargaining hard with the ICC.”
The deadline for naming the squad was on April 25.
We can name the squad. But status quo will remain as a final decision will be taken only after the SGM. If we name the squad, it will mean our stance has weakened. It will be a climb down. At the moment, the situation is very confusing. There is no clarity. But the COA is of the opinion that the issue should be resolved with minimum fuss. They too don’t want a standoff.
The suggestion to name the squad has come from those who don’t want a standoff with the ICC. “There are some associations that are backing Manohar. They want us to go to the Champions Trophy and therefore start the process by naming the squad. But it will be falling into ICC’S trap,” the official said.
Some feel the squad is more or less decided and settled, and even if it is named later, preparation shouldn’t be an issue.
A senior official revealed the Committee of Administrators may step in even after the SGM is very confusing. There is no clarity.
“But the COA is of the opinion that the issue should be resolved with minimum fuss. They too don’t want a standoff. But even if there is a decision to boycott could step in and argue for send ing the team.”
The COA has called for a meet ing with units from the North and East on May 5 in the Capital.
It follows the IPL Governing Council meeting slated for that
COA chief Vinod Rai could have the final say.