India’s top list of the last 6,000 years
1. Mahatma Gandhi So what if the Mahatma is increasingly irrelevant in his own country? At rank 75, he is the only Indian to be among the top 100.
2. Ashoka India’s first Buddhist emperor of 3rd century B.C. is ranked 627. He is still relevant? Surprise, surprise.
3. Rudyard Kipling We thought the writer was English. Born in Mumbai, he has been ranked as Indian, at No. 673.
4. Nagarjuna The keyword of the Buddhist philosopher, ranked 812, is “sunyata” or emptiness. Looks like quantum physicists are finding new meaning in it.
5. Indira Gandhi World’s longest-serving woman prime minister is still remembered as the face of women politicians in global politics. Ranked 1233.
6.Rabindranath Tagore India’s first Nobel prize winner still appears to be relevant to others, at number 1496, apart from Bengal and its diaspora.