Which Po­lariser?

Smart Photography - - Ask Uncle Ronnie -

I am go­ing to buy my first po­lar­is­ing fil­ter, which I heard is very im­por­tant for land­scapes. I am con­fused about two things: 1) I cur­rently own a 18-105mm Nikon lens. Should I go in for a 67mm di­am­e­ter fil­ter, or go for a larger fil­ter and use it now with a step-up ring, so that it re­mains us­able later on if I go for a ded­i­cated wide-an­gle lens that has a larger fil­ter size? 2) There are many com­pa­nies and types of po­laris­ers in mar­ket, for ex­am­ple, Hoya alone has three types. Which com­pany and type of po­lariser will be best within Rs. 3500? It would be re­ally help­ful if you can an­swer ASAP. Arka, Kolkata Yes, a po­lar­is­ing fil­ter is very im­por­tant for land­scapes (and for other gen­res too). When used cor­rectly, it can re­duce glare from wa­ter, wood, pa­per, paint, tree leaves, etc. It can also darken blue skies. Re­mem­ber to buy a Cir­cu­lar Po­lariser (not a Lin­ear Po­lariser). Both are cir­cu­lar in shape but their con­struc­tions are dif­fer­ent. 1. Yes, you could buy a fil­ter with a larger di­am­e­ter and use it with a suit­able ring. Per­son­ally though, I would buy a cor­rect size fil­ter – one for each lens I pos­sess. 2. I sug­gest you go in for the Hoya Pro 1 Dig­i­tal Cir­cu­lar PL. Its low-pro­file frame will help avoid the pos­si­bil­i­ties of vi­gnetting due to the fil­ter. Th­ese fil­ters are mul­ti­coated, which can re­duce/avoid flare and ghost­ing. Do keep in mind that low-qual­ity PL fil­ters can and do cause colour shifts, and could pos­si­bly cause some prob­lems with aut­o­fo­cussing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.