World Trade Cen­ter se­cu­rity to be tight­ened fol­low­ing breaches

SP's MAI - - INTERNAL SECURITY -

Se­cu­rity ef­forts at the World Trade Cen­ter site will be reshuf­fled in the wake of two highly pub­li­cised breaches, ac­cord­ing to the Port Author­ity of New York and New Jersey. The agency said Al­lied Bar­ton, a firm that pro­vides un­armed se­cu­rity at the re­gion’s ma­jor air­ports, will per­form the same func­tion at the Trade Cen­ter site.

Se­cu­rity has been a fo­cus of con­cern since a New Jersey teenager sneaked onto the top of 1 World Trade Cen­ter in March and climbed the 1,776-foot build­ing’s spire. Last month it was re­vealed that three parachutists jumped from the top of the build­ing last fall and recorded it.

Al­lied Bar­ton’s four-year, $221 mil­lion con­tract signed last year will be ex­panded by about $60 mil­lion, the Port Author­ity said in a state­ment. The firm had been hired to re­place FJC Se­cu­rity Ser­vices af­ter sev­eral in­ci­dents, in­clud­ing one in which a su­per­vi­sor at Ne­wark Lib­erty Air­port was found to have been in the coun­try il­le­gally for years and us­ing the iden­tity of a mur­dered man.

Sum­mit Se­cu­rity Ser­vices had been pro­vid­ing un­armed se­cu­rity at the Trade Cen­ter and will con­tinue to pro­vide se­cu­rity at other Port Author­ity fa­cil­i­ties, ac­cord­ing to the agency. Sum­mit signed a four-year, $136 mil­lion deal ef­fec­tive March 1 of this year, ac­cord­ing to the Port Author­ity’s web­site. The agency didn’t say how that con­tract would be af­fected.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.