‘Den­tist cou­ple broke down af­ter ac­quit­tal’

Ra­jesh kept him­self glued to TV, wife seen of­fer­ing prayers

The Asian Age - - Nation - SAU­RABH TRIVEDI NEW DELHI, OCT. 12

Dhasna jail su­per­in­ten­dent D.R. Mau­rya said that the au­thor­i­ties were wait­ing for the certified copy of the ver­dict to start the re­lease process of the den­tist cou­ple

The den­tist cou­ple, Nupur and Ra­jesh Tal­war, on Thurs­day waited anx­iously in Dhasna jail for the Al­la­habad high court ver­dict which let them off in the dou­ble mur­der case of their daugh­ter Arushi and maid ser­vant Hem­raj in Noida in May 2008.

All through the day, jail sources said, Dr Tal­war kept him­self glued to the TV set by flip­ping news chan­nels to get the lat­est up­dates on his pe­ti­tion chal­leng­ing the con­vic­tion or­der of the spe­cial CBI court, his wife was seen of­fer­ing prayers in her bar­rack. The den­tist cou­ple, it is re­li­ably learnt, broke down when the news chan­nels flashed that they had been let off by the two-judge bench of the Al­la­habad court.

“Tears rolled down from Ra­jesh Tal­war’s eyes. He did not speak to any­one for some time. And he fi­nally broke down,” a jail of­fi­cial told this news­pa­per. “Same was the case with Nupur. She, too, broke down when she came to know her ap­peal has been ac­cepted by the di­vi­sion bench.”

Dhasna jail su­per­in­ten­dent D.R. Mau­rya, who vis­ited Ra­jesh, said, “When we went to meet him, he hugged me and burst into tears. He said that jus­tice has been de­liv­ered. Now, we are wait­ing

for the certified copy of the ver­dict to start the re­lease process of the den­tist cou­ple. We have done all other ar­range­ments. They will be es­corted un­der se­cu­rity to their home in Delhi.”

Out­side Dhasna jail, one could spot crews of sev­eral TV news chan­nels with the hope that in case Tal­wars were re­leased, they could hear a word or two from them. But all in vain as the jail au­thor­i­ties in­formed them that the cou­ple would be re­leased only af­ter seek­ing due per­mis­sion of the court on Fri­day.

Soon af­ter the Al­la­habad court ver­dict, Aarushi Tal­war’s grand­fa­ther Group Cap­tain B.G. Chit­nis (Retd) VSM told a news chan­nel that he was thank­ful to the ju­di­ciary for giv­ing a pos­i­tive ver­dict... “It has been a stress­ful life since Aarushi Tal­war has passed away... I am grate­ful for the ac­quit­tal of Ra­jesh and Nupur Tal­war... Al­low us to ab­sorb the news. We al­ways knew they weren’t guilty.”

Van­dana Tal­war, Aarushi’s aunt, said the en­tire family had suf­fered for nearly a decade as the case dragged on. “It was very ex­haust­ing and try­ing,” she said.

She re­fused to go into the mer­its of the case and the judge­ment, say­ing the cou­ple’s lawyers would an­swer ques­tions on who killed Aarushi and their do­mes­tic help Hem­raj.

“We are deeply grate­ful to the ju­di­ciary... I would like to thank all the sup­port­ers who sup­ported us through the long or­deal,” she said. Prior to the pro­nounce­ment of the judge­ment, both Van­dana and Arushi’s un­cle re­fused to make any comment on the pos­si­ble court judge­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from India

© PressReader. All rights reserved.