Wankhede scuffle case: Clean chit to Shah Rukh Khan opposed
An activist has opposed the closure report of the Mumbai Police where it has given a clean chit to Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who was accused of abusing a security personnel at the Wankhede stadium in 2012 during an IPL match. The activist has claimed that the police filed the closure report, only to “favour” Khan.
Though the incident took place in 2012, the activist – Amit Maru – moved the Magistrate court in April, last year. He had sought issuance of proceedings against the actor under the provisions of obscenity, claiming that the actor had used a ‘filthy’ language in public.
Advocate Aditya Pratap, appearing for Maru, on Saturday told the magistrate that the investigators were looking to favour SRK. He told the judge that the police has not made any attempt to look into the videos and audios of the incident, that were aired by several news channels.
Pratap said, “The entire incident was captured by the media and also the CCTV cameras in the stadium. The footages of the press are available on the internet (YouTube).”
“We still fail to understand why the police has not looked into it. Looking at the conduct of the investigators, we can say that they are just trying to favour the actor. They want to exonerate him,” Pratap added.
It may be recalled that Maru had filed a private complaint with the magistrate in April 2016 and within a span of four months, the Mumbai police had filed its closure report in September. The police had given a clean chit to Khan, after claiming to have found no prosecuteable material against him.
After hearing Pratap’s arguments, the magistrate adjourned the matter till September 18.
It may be recalled that post this incident, the actor was banned from entering the Wankhede stadium for five years by the Mumbai Cricket Association, however, the cricket body lifted the ban in 2015.