Calm Cork­ish saves the day

Bray People - - SPORT - DANIEL GOR­MAN Sports Re­porter

THINGS ARE heat­ing up in the Char­lie Bishop Cup with the four semi-fi­nal­ists hav­ing been de­cided last week­end.

Di­vi­sion 1 clubs Wicklow Town and Celtic Stars will be hop­ing they can up­set the odds in the last four should they come up against Ark­low Town or Rath­new AFC A of the Pre­mier Di­vi­sion.

Wicklow Town faced the most heart-stop­ping jour­ney to the penul­ti­mate round. They trailed Ark­low United by two goals to one go­ing into the dy­ing min­utes of their clash in Fin­lay Park but Cathal Doyle swooped in to force ex­tra time. No­body was able to make them­selves a hero dur­ing ex­tra time but Ian Cork­ish came to the fore dur­ing the penalty shoot out; sav­ing two of United's ef­forts. Conor Dick­en­son then dis­patched the win­ning penalty for Town.

Shane Dunne had scored Town's other ef­fort. Ger Earls and Mark Nolan were the Ark­low side's marks­men.

Celtic Stars only re­quired the 90 min­utes to over­come Round­wood AFC. Goals from Lukasz Niewiadom­ski and Paddy Byrne saw the Di­vi­sion 1 hope­fuls ad­vance against the Di­vi­sion 2 out­fit.

Pre­mier Di­vi­sion cham­pi­ons Ark­low Town faced cur­rent Pre­mier Di­vi­sion ta­ble-top­pers St. An­thony's at Finn Park in their quar­ter fi­nal clash. Dar­ren Doyle headed the vis­i­tors into an early lead and the same man was on the score sheet once again soon af­ter­wards. And then just be­fore half time Anto Kenny struck to give the Bridge­wa­ter Cen­tre Park side an ex­tremely com­mand­ing lead at the break.

This Kil­coole side are no strangers to come­backs though. In a league tie in De­cem­ber, they were star­ing down the bar­rel of a 0-4 de­feat against BBK United but 45 mes­meris­ing min­utes later the Saints had won 5-4. On Sun­day though, they fell just short. Martin Gre­gory and Matt Man­nix pulled goals back but they couldn't muster a third to force ex­tra time and there­fore they bowed out of the com­pe­ti­tion.

With Os­car Traynor du­ties now com­pleted, the play­ers from Rath­new AFC can fully con­cen­trate on club mat­ters and one of those mat­ters shall be a semi fi­nal of the Char­lie Bishop Cup thanks to their rel­a­tively straight­for­ward 2-6 win over Ash­ford Rovers. Brothers Jody and Paul Mer­ri­gan plun­dered half of their side's tally, with Jody net­ting two and Paul man­ag­ing one. Former Ash­ford star Jay Tay­lor re­turned to haunt his former side with a sin­gle, and Chris Gre­gory and Shane Doyle were also on tar­get for the Vil­lagers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.