Kil­dare pip Garden at the death

Bray People - - SPORT -

THE WICKLOW U-21 se­lec­tors con­tin­ued their team-build­ing process on Tues­day night with a match in the Car­low U-21 Tour­na­ment.

Two points in in­jury time gave Kil­dare vic­tory over Wicklow at Tin­ry­land.

This was a close and hard fought game all through with lit­tle sep­a­rat­ing the sides.

Kil­dare got the only goal of the match mid­way through the first half and it was that score that sep­a­rated the sides for most of the way.

Wicklow, who were still short a few key play­ers, played their best foot­ball in the clos­ing 10 min­utes but iron­i­cally it was in that time that they also lost the points.

Kil­dare got off to the bet­ter start with two quick points in­side three min­utes.

By the 12th minute Wicklow had taken the lead with three points by Conor McGraynor and one by Theo Smith.

Then Kil­dare full for­ward David Hughes struck for the only goal of the match and de­spite an­other good Wicklow point by Paddy Crow­ley the Li­ly­whites went in lead­ing by 1-5 to 0-5 at half time.

Kil­dare played their best foot­ball in the third quar­ter and stretched their lead to five points.

Eoin Devlin and Theo Smith had kept Wicklow in the hunt with good points but it was an ex­cel­lent score by Paddy O'Rourke that ral­lied the Wicklow boys.

McGraynor pointed a free and then kicked a great point from out near the cor­ner flag and the come­back was in full flow.

O'Rourke had an­other fine point to leave only one be­tween the sides with time run­ning out.

With only sec­onds of the hour left Wicklow had a great chance to take the lead.

McGraynor won pos­ses­sion be­hind the de­fence and had a point for the tak­ing. He de­cided to go for goal but was blown for over car­ry­ing.

Neu­trals close to goal claimed the Avon­dale lad should have got a penalty but from the free out Kil­dare set up an at­tack that yielded the win­ning points and then to rub salt into the wounds scored an­other on the stroke of time.

Wicklow were still in with a chance of qual­i­fy­ing for the knock­out stages in this tour­na­ment.

In the other match on the same night Car­low and Wex­ford played a draw in Myshall - a re­sult that suited Wicklow.

Wicklow's last match in the league sec­tion was against Wex­ford in Castle­town last night (Tues­day).

Wicklow’s Conor McGraynor bagged six points against Kil­dare.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.