O’Con­nor and O’Sul­li­van start

Bray People - - SPORT -

THERE WAS some in­fight­ing in the class of 2014 this week as Long­ford Town went head to head with Water­ford United and Derry City took on Sligo Rovers.

Rhys Gor­man found him­self benched for the visit of Water­ford and he was joined there by Wil­lie Tyrrell but there were start­ing berths for Kevin O’Con­nor and Davy O’Sul­li­van.

For Water­ford, Shane Mur­ray re­turned from ill­ness to take his place in the cen­tre of mid­field.

Tragedy al­most struck for O’Con­nor as he ac­ci­den­tally de­flected a shot from Water­ford’s Ky­nan Rocks but the Bray man’s blushes were spared by Town goal­keeper Chris Ben­nion who clawed the ball away to safety.

Af­ter the half hour mark, Mur­ray’s free kick was headed back out to him and his sec­ond at­tempt at a cross found Paddy Bar­rett but he missed the tar­get with his header.

Early in the sec­ond pe­riod, a Mur­ray cor­ner kick struck the hand of a Long­ford de­fender but the vis­i­tors’ pleas for a penalty fell on deaf ears.

Hav­ing nearly put through his own net, O’Con­nor then came close to putting his side ahead.

Noel Haverty de­liv­ered the pass from the right and O’Con­nor let fly from an ex­cel­lent po­si­tion but his ef­fort fin­ished wide.

Davy O’Sul­li­van then took up the man­tle as he chased a Don Cowan pass, only to be de­nied by Water­ford’s man of the match goal­keeper Kevin Burns.

Cowan then laid one off for O’Sul­li­van and he was cru­elly de­nied a goal by the wood­work.

Long­ford had one fi­nal chance on the Water­ford goal in the very last minute as O’Con­nor forced a stun­ning save from Burns with a pow­er­ful free kick.

Un­like Long­ford Town, Derry City did man­age to find a win­ner in their clash with the Bit O’Red at the Brandy­well on Fri­day evening.

For­mer Ark­low Town team-mates Aaron Barry and Danny Led­with didn’t quite go face to face, Barry en­joyed a full out­ing at cen­tre half, while Led­with watched on from the bench as Enda Cur­ran’s 54th minute strike de­cided the con­test.

Both sides were in ac­tion again on Mon­day evening. Barry was switched to left back for Derry’s trip to Oriel Park, where they were on the end of a 3-0 lash­ing at the hands of Dun­dalk.

Rovers hosted Dun­dalk’s ri­vals, Drogheda United, and de­spite a first minute strike from cap­tain Alan Keane, they were held to a 1-1 draw. Led­with again failed to make it onto the pitch.

There was a goalscorer amongst the Co. Wick­low men this week. Sham­rock Rovers B sped down the N11 to Fer­rycar­rig Park and found them­selves trail­ing 2-0 to Wex­ford Youths cour­tesy of a Danny Fur­long brace.

Daniel Purdy pulled one back for the Hoops and then Bray’s Chris Lyons con­verted 76th minute penalty to level mat­ters.

It ended in heart­break for Rovers though as Fur­long com­pleted his hat-trick in in­jury time to se­cure all three points for Wex­ford.

Hughie Dou­glas also suf­fered his fair share of heart­break this week. The de­fender played the full 90 for UCD as they had a win snatched from them by Lim­er­ick on Fri­day evening.

To­mas Boyle had given the Stu­dents the lead but Ja­son Hughes found the net in sec­ond half stop­page time to deny UCD vic­tory. Af­ter the match, Dou­glas tweeted: “Je­sus foot­ball can be cruel”.

UCD were back in ac­tion on Mon­day, mak­ing the short trip to Tal­laght to take on Sham­rock Rovers. Rovers hit the wood­work three times in the open­ing 45 min­utes and fi­nally got their just desserts af­ter the in­ter­val as Ryan Bren­nan and Ro­nan Finn earned their side a 2-0 win.

That win keeps Rovers above arch ri­vals Bo­hemi­ans in the Pre­mier Di­vi­sion.

It was a good few days for the Gyp­sies though; poach­ing a late point against Bray Wan­der­ers on Fri­day and pick­ing up a 1-3 win away to Athlone Town on Mon­day. Andy Mul­li­gan did not fea­ture but he is near­ing his re­turn from in­jury.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.